1946 Dominican Republic earthquake
|Date||August 4, 1946|
|Areas affected||Dominican Republic
|Max. intensity||IX |
|Peak acceleration||.4g (est) |
|Casualties||~ 100 |
The 1946 Dominican Republic earthquake occurred on August 4, 1946 at 17:51 UTC near Samaná, Dominican Republic. The mainshock measured 8.1 on the surface wave magnitude scale and an aftershock occurred four days later on August 8 at 13.28 UTC with a magnitude of 7.6. A tsunami was generated by the initial earthquake and caused widespread devastation across Hispaniola. The tsunami was observed in much of the Caribbean and the southern Atlantic ocean.
The earthquake killed around 100, but left some 20,000 people homeless. The death toll was unusually low as it coincided with a holiday in the afternoon, when most people were outdoors. It caused severe damage in the northern Dominican Republic from Samana to Santiago and Puerto Plata. Slumping and sand blows were observed in the Yaque del Norte and Yuna River Valleys. The earthquake was felt strongly in parts of Haiti and Puerto Rico, and to a lesser extent in the Virgin Islands and eastern Cuba.
The earthquake also caused a tsunami which struck at Matanza, near Nagua (Julia Molina) where a 2.5-metre (8 ft 2 in) - 4–5-metre (13–16 ft) high wave drowned a number of people and affected an area of land several kilometres inland. Tsunami associated with the quake killed 1600–1800 people, for a total of about 2550 fatalities.
- Dolan, James F. (1998). Paul Mann, ed. Active Strike-Slip and Collisional Tectonics of the Northern Caribbean Plate Boundary Zone. Geological Society of America. p. 44. ISBN 978-0813723266.
- Lynch & Bodle 1948, p. 4
- Lynch & Bodle 1948, p. 5
- Historic Earthquakes: Samana, Dominican Republic 1946, USGS, Retrieved June 10, 2008
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (February 8, 2005). "Major Caribbean Earthquakes And Tsunamis A Real Risk". Science Daily. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- O'Loughlin, Karen Fay; Lander, James F. (2003), Caribbean tsunamis: a 500-year history from 1498-1998, Boston: Kluwer, p. 82, ISBN 1-4020-1717-0
- Lander, James F.; Lockridge, Patricia A. (1989). United States Tsunamis, (including United States possessions) 1690-1988: Publication 41-2. United States Department of Commerce. pp. 219, 220.
- Lynch, Joseph J.; Bodle, Ralph R. (1948), "The Dominican earthquakes of August, 1946", Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America (Seismological Society of America) 38 (1): 1–17
- Small, Walter M. (1948), "A short description of the general geology of the Dominican Republic, with notes on the earthquake of August 4, 1946", Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America (Seismological Society of America) 38 (1): 19–32