1946 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1946 in India.
- January - Royal Air Force Mutiny of 1946 of British and Indian air force units
- 11 February - I.N.A. trial demonstrations in Calcutta, several killed
- 12 February - Hartal in Calcutta over the killing of demonstrators the previous day
- 18 February - Start of the Royal Indian Navy Mutiny
- 22 February - Start of hartal in Bombay in support of the mutiny, which saw the British kill over 200 citizens
- 10 May - Nehru elected leader of the Congress Party.
- 19 August - Violence between Muslims and Hindus in Calcutta leaves 3000 dead.
- 2 september - interim government formed
- 4 September - Street violence between Muslims and Hindus in Bombay.
- 27 November - Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru appeals to the United States and the Soviet Union to end nuclear testing and to start nuclear disarmament, stating that such an action would "save humanity from the ultimate disaster."
- 9 December - Constituent Assembly for India meets for the first time.
Full date unknown
January to June
- 16 January - Kabir Bedi, actor.
- 1 February - Giri Babu, actor.
- 18 March - Navin Nischol, actor of Bollywood films (died 2011)
July to September
- 5 July - Mamukkoya, comedian actor.
- 5 July - Ram Vilas Paswan, politician.
- 17 July - Lalitha Lenin, poet and academic.
- 28 July - Saint Alphonsa, Sister Alphonsa Muttathupadathu, in 2008 became first woman of Indian origin to be canonized as a saint (born 1910).
- 20 August - N. R. Narayana Murthy, industrialist and software engineer.
October to December
- 11 October - Vijay P. Bhatkar, computer scientist.
- 12 October - Ashok Mankad, Test cricketer (died 2008).
- 15 October - Victor Banerjee, actor.
- 9 December - Sonia Gandhi, politician.
- 14 December - Sanjay Gandhi, politician (died 1980).
- 26 December - Narendra Prasad, actor, playwright, teacher and literary critic (died 2003).
- 27 December - Vijay Arora, actor (died 2007).
Full date unknown
- Everyman's Dictionary of Dates; 6th ed. J. M. Dent, 1971; p. 263