1946 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1936 . 1937 . 1938 . 1939 . 1940 . 1941 . 1942 ...
1943 1944 1945 -1946- 1947 1948 1949
... 1950 . 1951 . 1952 . 1953 . 1954 . 1955 . 1956 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- The Vienna School of Fantastic Realism is founded by Ernst Fuchs, Rudolf Hausner, and others.
- The Borough Group of artists is founded in London by Cliff Holden.
- Jean Dubuffet exhibits the series of works with paint mixed with sand and gravel, Hautes Pâtes, at the Galérie René Drouin.
- Sidney Nolan begins his first series of paintings of Ned Kelly.
- David Olère begins to produce artworks based on his experiences as Jewish Sonderkommando inmate 106144 of Auschwitz concentration camp during World War II.
- George Ault - Bright Light at Russell's Corners
- Francis Bacon
- Painting (1946)
- Study for Man with Microphones (later abandoned and slashed by the artist)
- Salvador Dalí - The Temptation of St. Anthony
- Jean Dubuffet - Apartment Houses
- Jacob Epstein - Bust of Winston Churchill
- M. C. Escher - lithographs
- Sawlaram Haldankar - Glow of Hope
- Barbara Hepworth - sculptures
- Edward Hopper - Approaching a City
- Dame Laura Knight - The Dock, Nuremberg
- L. S. Lowry - Good Friday, Daisy Nook
- Henri Matisse - L'Asie
- Georgia O'Keeffe - Bare Tree Trunks With Snow
- Pablo Picasso - Woman-Flower
- William Scott - The Frying Pan
- Jack Butler Yeats
- Men of Destiny
- The Whistle of a Jacket
- Contemporary British Art - Toledo Museum of Art, Ohio, the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, New York, and the City Art Museum, St Louis.
- January 18 - Kirk Varnedoe, American art historian, writer and curator (d.2003)
- February 2 - David Gopito, Zimbabwean sculptor
- June 29 - Egon von Fürstenberg, Swiss fashion designer (d.2004)
- July 6 - Jamie Wyeth, painter
- July 25 - Nicole Farhi, sculptor and fashion designer.
- September 27 - T.C. Cannon, painter (d.1978)
- November 4 - Robert Mapplethorpe, American photographer (d.1989).
- November 5 - Herman Brood, Dutch musician, painter and media personality (d.2001)
- November 20 - Alice Aycock, sculptor
- December 2 - Gianni Versace, Italian fashion designer, murdered (d.1997).
- December 8 - Jacques Bourboulon, photographer.
- December 12 - Don Gummer, sculptor
- Full date unknown
- February 17 - Dorothy Gibson, artist's model and actress (b. 1889)
- July 11 - Paul Nash, English painter (b. 1889)
- July 13 - Alfred Stieglitz, American photographer (b. 1864)
- July 17 - Florence Fuller, Australian painter (b. 1867)
- October 28 - Manuel Ortiz de Zárate, painter (b. 1887)
- October 30 - Charles Despiau, sculptor (b. 1874)
- November 23 - Arthur Dove, painter (b. 1880)
- November 24 - László Moholy-Nagy, Hungarian painter and photographer (b. 1895)
- December 28 - Elie Nadelman, Poland-born US sculptor (b. 1882)
- date unknown - Arnold Friedman, Modernist painter (b. 1874)