1948 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1948 in India.
- King of India – George VI
- Governor-General of the Union of India - The Viscount Mountbatten of Burma
- Governor-General of the Union of India - C. Rajagopalachari (from 21 June)
- Prime Minister of India – Jawaharlal Nehru
- 30 January - Assassination of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi: The spiritual leader of India Mahatma Gandhi is assassinated by Nathuram Godse.
- 15 February - Junagadh and Manavadar (princely state) Rescinds accession to Pakistan, accedes to India.
- 24 February - Referendum approves accession to India.
- 25 February - Accession to India in effect.
- 15 April 1948 - Mandi District was formed by amalgamation of the erstwhile princely states of Mandi and Suket on the formation of Himachal Pradesh.
- 1 May - First Kashmir War, India confronts the aggressors and fights the Indo-Pakistani War of 1947 and is engaged with the Dominion of Pakistan for the first time
- 6 September - The Nizam of Hyderabad Deccan having failed to retain independence decides to accede to the Dominion of Pakistan, Pakistan instead takes the case to the UN, pending resolutions regarding the issue.
- 12 September - State of Hyderabad joins the Dominion of India.
- 7 January - Shobhaa De, columnist and novelist.
- 15 January - Bal Govind Dwivedi, poet.
- 24 February - J. Jayalalithaa, politician, present Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
- 25 February - Danny Denzongpa, actor.
- 10 April - Jaya Bachchan, actress.
- 11 August - Goutam Chattopadhyay, Musicologist, Film Maker and Founder Member of Bengali Band Mohineer Ghoraguli. (died 1999)
- 10 September - Bhakti Barve, actress (died 2001).
- 2 October - Persis Khambatta, actress and model (died 1998).
- 16 October - Hema Malini, actress and dancer-choreographer.
- 11 December - Raghuvaran, actor (died 2008).
Full date unknown
- 30 January - Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, political and spiritual leader in India and the Indian independence movement, assassinated (born 1869).
- 1 February - Jatindramohan Bagchi, poet (born 1878).
- 9 August - Yellapragada Subbarow, medical scientist (born 1895).