1949 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1939 . 1940 . 1941 . 1942 . 1943 . 1944 . 1945 ...
1946 1947 1948 -1949- 1950 1951 1952
... 1953 . 1954 . 1955 . 1956 . 1957 . 1958 . 1959 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- Formation of Penwith Society of Arts in St Ives, Cornwall.
- Young Contemporaries exhibition, initiated by Carel Weight for the British Society of Artists Galleries, establishes the New Contemporaries series.
- David Jones begins a 5-year sequence of watercolours of flowers in glasses.
- Yves Klein paints his first monochromes, in London.
- Francis Bacon - Head VI
- Brenda Chamberlain - The Fisherman's Return (National Museum of Wales)
- Salvador Dalí
- Sir William Reid Dick - Lady Godiva (equestrian bronze, Coventry)
- Tadeusz Kantor - Man with Umbrella
- L. S. Lowry
- The Canal Bridge
- The Football Match
- Robert Motherwell - Five in the Afternoon
- Barnett Newman - Abraham
- William Scott
- Frying Pan and Eggs
- Still Life with Candlestick
- Graham Sutherland - Somerset Maugham
- Vladimir Tretchikoff - The Dying Swan
- Boris Vladimirski - Roses for Stalin
- Lucien Wercollier - Le prisonnier politique (bronze)
- April 9 - Stephen Hickman, illustrator, sculptor and author
- May 7 - Deborah Butterfield, sculptor
- May 12 - Ross Bleckner, painter
- July 6 - Tibor Kalman, Hungarian-American graphic designer (d.1999).
- August 12 – Glòria Muñoz, Spanish painter
- August 15 - Richard Deacon, sculptor
- August 27 - Istvan Kantor, performance artist
- March 17 - Aleksandra Ekster, painter and designer, Art Deco pioneer (b. 1882)
- May 3 - Mariano Fortuny, fashion designer (b. 1871)
- June 21 - Edward Wadsworth, painter (b. 1889)
- August 8 - Joaquín Torres García, Uruguayan painter (b. 1874)
- September 25 - Henri Manguin, painter (b. 1874)
- November 3 - Solomon R. Guggenheim, art collector (b. 1861)
- November 19 - James Ensor, painter (b. 1860)
- (Herbert Barnard) John Everett, English marine artist (b.1877)