1950 PGA Championship
|Dates||June 21–27, 1950|
|Location||Columbus, Ohio, U.S.|
|Course(s)||Scioto Country Club|
|Format||Match play - 6 rounds|
|Length||7,032 yards (6,430 m)|
64 to match play
|Cut||153 (+11), playoff|
|def. Henry Williams, Jr., 4 & 3|
The 1950 PGA Championship was the 32nd PGA Championship, held June 21–27 at Scioto Country Club in Upper Arlington, Ohio, a suburb northwest of Columbus. Chandler Harper won the match play championship, 4 & 3 over Henry Williams, Jr. in the Tuesday final; the winner's share was $3,500 and the runner-up's was $1,500. It was Harper's only major title.
The last three majors were held within several weeks in 1950: the U.S. Open was concluded less than two weeks earlier near Philadelphia. Ben Hogan defeated Lloyd Mangrum and George Fazio in an 18-hole playoff on Sunday, June 11. The British Open was played the first week of July in Scotland.
- Wednesday and Thursday – 36-hole stroke play qualifier, 18 holes per day;
- defending champion Sam Snead and top 63 professionals advanced to match play
- Friday – first two rounds, 18 holes each
- Saturday – third round – 36 holes
- Sunday – quarterfinals – 36 holes
- Monday – semifinals – 36 holes
- Tuesday – final – 36 holes
Past champions in the field
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||Record||Advanced to||Finish|
|Henry Picard||United States||1939||4–1||Semifinals||T3|
|Denny Shute||United States||1936, 1937||2–1||Third round||T9|
|Jim Ferrier||Australia||1947||1–1||Second round||T17|
|Sam Snead||United States||1942, 1949||1–1||Second round||T17|
|Vic Ghezzi||United States||1941||0–1||First round||T33|
|Paul Runyan||United States||1934, 1938||0–1||First round||T33|
Tuesday, June 27, 1950
|1||Chandler Harper||United States||3,500|
|2||Henry Williams, Jr.||United States||1,500|
|T3||Jimmy Demaret||United States||750|
|Henry Picard||United States|
|T5||Dave Douglas||United States||500|
|Ray Gafford||United States|
|Lloyd Mangrum||United States|
|Johnny Palmer||United States|
Final eight bracket
|Henry Williams, Jr.|
|Henry Williams, Jr.||1up|
|Henry Williams, Jr.||38h|
- "Snead starts defense of PGA Championship". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. June 21, 1950. p. 17.
- "Tournament Info for: 1950 PGA Championship". PGA.com. Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- Gundelfinger, Phil, Jr. (June 28, 1950). "Chandler beats Williams for PGA title, 4-3". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. 23.
- Gundelfinger, Phil, Jr. (June 23, 1950). "Snead's 140 wins PGA medal". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. 19.
- Gundelfinger, Phil, Jr. (June 24, 1950). "Snead dethroned by Eddie Burke in second round". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. 11.