1950 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
Events in the year 1950 in the Republic of India.
- King of India – George VI (until 24 Jan.)
- Governor-General of the Union of India - C. Rajagopalachari (until 24 Jan.)
- President of India – Rajendra Prasad took office on 26 January
- Prime Minister of India – Jawaharlal Nehru
- 25 January – Election Commission is established.
- 26 January – The Constitution comes into force making India a republic, the day is observed as Republic Day ever since and declares Kashmir and Jammu into the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir, thus Kashmir becomes autonomous within the federation.
- 26 January – Dr. Rajendra Prasad moves into Rashtrapati Bhavan as the first President of India.
- 8 April – Liaquat–Nehru Pact signed by Pakistan's Prime Minister Liaquat Ali Khan and Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru in New Delhi
- 31 July 1950 – Indo-Nepal Treaty of Peace and Friendship signed
- 15 August – Medog earthquake and floods in Assam, India: 574 deaths, 5,000,000 believed homeless.
- 5 November – ISRO launches the Mars Orbiter Mission, its first interplanetary probe.
January to June
- 5 January – Jagathy Sreekumar, comedian-actor.
- 9 January – Y. Gee. Mahendra, dramatist, actor, singer playwright and comedian.
- 14 January – Rambhadracharya, Hindu religious leader.
- 9 February – Kilimanoor Chandran, author, poet and columnist.
- 11 April – Leo Rebello, holistic health guru, author, human rights activist, world peace envoy.
- 13 May – J. M. Aaron Rashid, politician.
July to December
- 1 July – Ekram Ali, poet and critic.
- 19 August – Sudha Murty, social worker and author
- 17 September – Narendra Modi, politician and Chief Minister of Gujarat.
- 18 September – Shabana Azmi, actress and social activist.
- 24 September – Mohinder Amarnath, cricketer.
Full date unknown
- Tom Alter, actor.
- 24 June – Darwan Singh Negi, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1914 (born 1881).
- 5 December – Sri Aurobindo, nationalist, scholar, poet, mystic, evolutionary philosopher, yogi and guru (born 1872).
- 15 December – Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, political and social leader (born 1875).
- Everyman's Dictionary Df dates; 6th ed. J. M. Dent, 1971; p. 265
|This article related to a particular year is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|