1950 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
Events in the year 1950 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – Rajendra Prasad took office on 26 January
- Prime Minister of India – Jawaharlal Nehru
- 25 January - Election Commission is established.
- 26 January - The Constitution comes into force making India a republic, the day is observed as Republic Day ever since and declares Kashmir and Jammu into the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir, thus Kashmir becomes autonomous within the federation.
- 26 January - Dr. Rajendra Prasad moves in to Rashtrapati Bhavan as the first President of India.
- 8 April - Liaquat–Nehru Pact signed by Pakistan's Prime Minister Liaquat Ali Khan and Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru in New Delhi
- 31 July 1950 - Indo-Nepal Treaty of Peace and Friendship signed
- 15 August - Medog earthquake and floods in Assam, India: 574 deaths, 5,000,000 believed homeless.
- 19 December - [1950 air crash in Nilgiri Mountain ] 21 :21 deaths - THE HINDU - 21'DECEMBER-1950 airdisaster.com shows as 13 DECEMBER 1950
January to June 
- 5 January - Jagathy Sreekumar, comedian-actor.
- 9 January - Y. Gee. Mahendra, dramatist, actor, singer playwright and comedian.
- 14 January - Rambhadracharya, Hindu religious leader.
- 9 February - Kilimanoor Chandran, author, poet and columnist.
- 11 April - Leo Rebello, holistic health guru, author, human rights activist, world peace envoy.
- 13 May - J. M. Aaron Rashid, politician.
July to December 
- 1 July - Ekram Ali, poet and critic.
- 19 August - Sudha Murty, social worker and Author
- 17 September - Narendra Modi, politician and Chief Minister of Gujarat.
- 18 September - Shabana Azmi, actress and social activist.
- 24 September - Mohinder Amarnath, cricketer.
- 12 December - Rajinikanth, actor.
Full date unknown 
- Tom Alter, actor.
- 24 June - Darwan Singh Negi, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1914 (born 1881).
- 5 December - Sri Aurobindo, nationalist, scholar, poet, mystic, evolutionary philosopher, yogi and guru (born 1872).
- 15 December - Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, political and social leader (born 1875).
See also 
|This Indian history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|