1953 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1943 . 1944 . 1945 . 1946 . 1947 . 1948 . 1949 ...
1950 1951 1952 -1953- 1954 1955 1956
... 1957 . 1958 . 1959 . 1960 . 1961 . 1962 . 1963 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- Yves Klein becomes a master at judo, receiving the rank of yodan (4th dan/degree black-belt) from the Kodokan in Japan.
See also: Category:1953 sculptures
- Hans Arp – Cloud Shepherd (sculpture, University City of Caracas)
- Francis Bacon – Study after Velázquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X
- Alexander Calder – Acoustic Clouds (installation, University City of Caracas)
- Edwin Dickinson – Ruin at Daphne (begun 1943; Metropolitan Museum of Art)
- Jacob Epstein – Social Consciousness (sculpture group, Philadelphia)
- M. C. Escher – Relativity (lithograph)
- Barbara Hepworth – Hieroglyph (sculpture)
- Edward Hopper – Office in a Small City (Metropolitan Museum of Art)
- Willem de Kooning – Woman III
- L. S. Lowry
- Football Ground
- The Procession passing the Queen Victoria Memorial, Coronation
- René Magritte – Golconda
- Marino Marini – Horse and Rider (bronze)
- Henri Matisse – The Snail (colored paper collage)
- Roberto Matta – Cercle du Blé (Circle of Wheat) (Museum of Fine Arts, Boston)
- Milton Menasco – 'La Troienne' and Her Foals: Eighteen Vignettes and One Painting Together in One Frame for John Whitney
- Henry Moore – Draped Reclining Figure (bronze)
- Jackson Pollock – Portrait and a Dream
- Larry Rivers – Washington Crossing the Delaware
- Mark Rothko – No. 61 (Rust and Blue)
- Alexander Nikolayevich Samokhvalov – In the Sun
- Charles Sheeler – Ore Into Iron (Museum of Fine Arts, Boston)
- Ellis Wilson – Caribbean Bird Vendor
- October – Robert Rauschenberg's White Paintings are exhibited at Eleanor Ward's Stable Gallery in New York City.
- 7 January – Robert Longo, painter and sculptor.
- 25 February – Martin Kippenberger, German artist (d.1997).
- 24 April – Eric Bogosian, performance artist.
- 12 September – Stephen Sprouse, American fashion designer and artist (d.2004).
Full date unknown
- February 12 – Uroš Predić, Serbian Realist painter (b. 1857)
- March 23 – Raoul Dufy, French Fauvist painter (b. 1877)
- March 26 – Đorđe Jovanović, Serbian sculptor (b. 1861)
- April 15 – Charles R. Knight, American animal painter (b. 1874)
- April 29
- June 23 – Albert Gleizes, French painter (b. 1881)
- October 2 – John Marin, American modernist painter (b. 1870)
- October 6 – Vera Mukhina, Latvian-born Soviet sculptor (b. 1889)
- October 11 – James Earle Fraser, American sculptor (b. 1876)
- November 30 – Francis Picabia, French painter and poet (b. 1879)
- date unknown – J. Laurie Wallace, Irish American painter (b.1864)