1955 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1955 in the Republic of India.
- The Imperial Bank of India, the oldest (est. 1921) and the largest commercial bank of the Indian subcontinent, was transformed into the State Bank of India.
- The Hindu Marriage Act enacted
- 2 May – Maharaj Krishan Kaushik, field hockey player and coach.
- 25 August – Khan Shein Kunwar, short story writer.
- 17 October – Smita Patil, actress (died 1986).
- 5 November – Karan Thapar, television commentator and interviewer.
- 13 December – Manohar Parrikar, politician and Chief Minister of Goa.
Full date unknown
- Rohini Hattangadi, actress.
- 1 January – Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar, scientist (born 1894).
|This Indian history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|