1956 Stanley Cup Finals
The 1956 Stanley Cup Final NHL championship series was contested by the Montreal Canadiens and the defending champion Detroit Red Wings in the fifth Detroit-Montreal series in the 1950s. The Canadiens were making the sixth consecutive appearance in the Final series; Detroit was making their third consecutive appearance. The Canadiens would win the series 4–1.
Paths to the final 
The series 
The Canadiens, down 4-2 after two periods, scored four unanswered goals, in a 5:29 span, in the third period to win Game One 6-4 at the Forum. Jacques Plante held the Red Wings to just ten goals in the five games. This was the first finals for Henri Richard and Toe Blake's first finals as coach.
Detroit Red Wings vs. Montreal Canadiens
Montreal wins best-of-seven series 4 games to 1
Montreal Canadiens 1956 Stanley Cup champions 
- Coaching and Administrative Staff
- Donat Raymond (President/Owner), Frank Selke Sr. (Manager)
- Dalton Coleman (Vice President/Owner), William Northey (Vice Presidents/Owner)
- Ken Reardon (Asst. Manager), Hector Toe Blake (Coach)
- Hector Dubois (Trainer)
- Gaston Bettez (Asst. Trainer)
- Camile DesRoches^, Frank Selke Jr.^ (Publicity Directors)
- ^- on the team picture, but missing from the Stanley Cup.
Stanley Cup engraving 
- Emile "Butch" Bouchard was engraved on the Stanley Cup in 1944, 1946 and 1953 as EMILE BOUCHARD. He was then engraved on the Stanley Cup as BUTCH BOUCHARD in 1956.
- In a mistake, Bob Turner is listed as Trainer on the Stanley Cup but he was a defenseman. Hector Dubois and Gaston Bettez were the trainers, but no position was listed. These mistakes were not corrected on the Replica Cup created in 1992–93.
- In a mistake, Claude Provost's name was misspelled C. PREVOST with an "E" instead an "O". Provost spelling mistake was also not corrected on the Replica Cup created in 1992–93.
- In a mistake, Gaston Bettez was spelled wrong as G BETTEX when cup was redone in 1957–58 with an "X" instead of "Z", and the mistake was repeated on the Replica Cup. His name was spelled correctly on the original ring as G. BETTEZ.
- Hector "Toe" Blake was the 9th NHL rookie coach to win the Stanley Cup.
See also 
- Diamond, Dan (2000). Total Stanley Cup. Toronto: Total Sports Canada. ISBN 978-1-892129-07-9.
- Podnieks, Andrew; Hockey Hall of Fame (2004). Lord Stanley's Cup. Bolton, Ont.: Fenn Pub. pp 12, 50. ISBN 978-1-55168-261-7
Detroit Red Wings
Stanley Cup Champions