1956 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
Events in the year 1956 in the Republic of India.
- 8 March- M. Ananthasayanam Ayyangar handles the charge as Lok Sabha Speaker.
- 20 March- Sardar Hukam Singh handles the charge as Lok Sabha Deputy Speaker.
- 14 October – Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, Indian Untouchable leader, converts to Buddhism along with 385,000 followers. See Neo-Buddhism.
- 1 November – The States Reorganisation Act of India reformed the boundaries and names of Indian states.
- Exact date unknown
Arts and literature
- 15 October – Kerala Sahithya Academy, Academy for Malayalam literature, is inaugurated by Chithira Thirunal Balarama Varma, the former king of Travancore.
- Bollywood films of 1956
January to June
- 1 February – Brahmanandam, comedian-actor.
- 6 April – Dilip Vengsarkar, cricketer.
- 4 May – Kunal Basu, novelist.
- 6 May – Sujata Bhatt, poet.
- 13 May – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, spiritual and humanitarian leader.
July to December
- 14 July – Tanikella Bharani, playwright, script writer and actor.
- 19 July – Rajendra Prasad, actor.
- 17 August – Anil Aggrawal, professor of forensic medicine.
- 19 October – Sunny Deol, actor.
Full date unknown
- Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, author and poet.
- 6 December – B. R. Ambedkar, nationalist, jurist, Dalit political leader and a Buddhist revivalist (born 1891).
|This Indian history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|