1957 NBA Playoffs
The 1957 NBA Playoffs was the postseason tournament of the National Basketball Association's 1956-57 season. The tournament concluded with the Eastern Division champion Boston Celtics defeating the Western Division champion St. Louis Hawks 4 games to 3 in the NBA Finals.
It was the first title in Celtics history; as of 2012, they lead the NBA in titles won with 17.
The Celtics and Hawks met in 4 out of 5 NBA Finals from 1957–1961, with the Celtics winning 3 out of 4. While the Hawks' dominance of the Western Division was succeeded by the Los Angeles Lakers afterward, Boston missed the NBA Finals just once between 1957–1969, and win the NBA title in every year but two.
In the division semifinals, the Philadelphia Warriors were swept by the Syracuse Nationals 2–0. This was the first time in NBA history that the defending champions were swept in the opening round. The next time the defending champions were swept in the opening round was in 2007.
|Division Semifinals||Division Finals||NBA Finals|
Western Division Tiebreakers
- Game 1 @ St. Louis: St. Louis 114, Minneapolis 111 (OT)
- Game 1 @ St. Louis: St. Louis 115, Fort Wayne 103
St. Louis defeats Fort Wayne & Minneapolis for #1 seed in West. Minneapolis gets #2 seed, Fort Wayne #3.
Champion: St. Louis Hawks
(1) St. Louis Hawks have division semifinals bye.
- Game 1 @ Minneapolis: Minneapolis 131, Fort Wayne 127
- Game 2 @ Fort Wayne: Minneapolis 110, Fort Wayne 108
Last Playoff Meeting: 1955 NBA Western Division Finals (Fort Wayne won 3-1)
- Game 1 @ St. Louis: St. Louis 118, Minneapolis 109
- Game 2 @ St. Louis: St. Louis 106, Minneapolis 104
- Game 3 @ Minneapolis: St. Louis 143, Minneapolis 135 (2OT)
Last Playoff Meeting: 1956 NBA Western Division Semifinals (St. Louis won 2-1)
Champion: Boston Celtics
(1) Boston Celtics have division semifinals bye.
- Game 1 @ Philadelphia: Syracuse 103, Philadelphia 96
- Game 2 @ Syracuse: Syracuse 91, Philadelphia 80
Last Playoff Meeting: 1956 NBA Eastern Division Finals (Philadelphia won 3-2)
- Game 1 @ Boston: Boston 108, Syracuse 90
- Game 2 @ Syracuse: Boston 120, Syracuse 105
- Game 3 @ Boston: Boston 83, Syracuse 80
Last Playoff Meeting: 1956 NBA Eastern Division Semifinals (Syracuse won 2-1)
- Game 1 @ Boston: St. Louis 125, Boston 123 (2OT)
- Game 2 @ Boston: Boston 119, St. Louis 99
- Game 3 @ St. Louis: St. Louis 100, Boston 98
- Game 4 @ St. Louis: Boston 123, St. Louis 118
- Game 5 @ Boston: Boston 110, St. Louis 104
- Game 6 @ St. Louis: St. Louis 96, Boston 94
- Game 7 @ Boston: Boston 125, St. Louis 123 (2OT)
Last Playoff Meeting: This is the first meeting between the Hawks and Celtics.