1958 NBA Playoffs
The 1958 NBA Playoffs was the postseason tournament of the National Basketball Association's 1957-58 season. The tournament concluded with the Western Division champion St. Louis Hawks defeating the Eastern Division champion Boston Celtics 4 games to 2 in the NBA Finals.
It was the second straight year the Celtics and Hawks met in the Finals; they met four out of five years, with the Celtics winning three series and the Hawks one.
This was the first (and as of 2013, only) title in Hawks franchise history. St. Louis made it to the NBA Finals four times in five years between 1957–1961, but since moving to Atlanta in 1968, they have had considerably less success in the playoffs.
|Division Semifinals||Division Finals||NBA Finals|
Champion: St. Louis Hawks
(1) St. Louis Hawks have division semifinals byes.
- Game 1 @ Detroit: Detroit 100, Cincinnati 83
- Game 2 @ Cincinnati: Detroit 124, Cincinnati 104
Last Playoffs meeting: 1953 Western Division Semifinals (Pistons won 2-1, while still in Fort Wayne; Royals were in Rochester at the time).
- Game 1 @ St. Louis: St. Louis 114, Detroit 111
- Game 2 @ Detroit: St. Louis 99, Detroit 96
- Game 3 @ St. Louis: Detroit 109, St. Louis 89
- Game 4 @ Detroit: St. Louis 145, Detroit 101
- Game 5 @ St. Louis: St. Louis 120, Detroit 96
Last Playoffs meeting: 1956 Western Division Finals (Pistons won 3-2, while still in Fort Wayne)
Champion: Boston Celtics
(1) Boston Celtics have division semifinals byes.
- Game 1 @ Syracuse: Syracuse 86, Philadelphia 82
- Game 2 @ Philadelphia: Philadelphia 95, Syracuse 93
- Game 3 @ Syracuse: Philadelphia 101, Syracuse 88
Last Playoffs meeting: 1957 Eastern Division Semifinals (Syracuse won 2-0).
- Game 1 @ Boston: Boston 107, Philadelphia 98
- Game 2 @ Philadelphia: Boston 109, Philadelphia 87
- Game 3 @ Boston: Boston 106, Philadelphia 92
- Game 4 @ Philadelphia: Philadelphia 112, Boston 97
- Game 5 @ Boston: Boston 93, Philadelphia 88
Last Playoff Meeting: This is the first meeting between the Celtics and Warriors.
- Game 1 @ Boston: St. Louis 104, Boston 102
- Game 2 @ Boston: Boston 136, St. Louis 112
- Game 3 @ St. Louis: St. Louis 111, Boston 108
- Game 4 @ St. Louis: Boston 109, St. Louis 98
- Game 5 @ Boston: St. Louis 102, Boston 100
- Game 6 @ St. Louis: St. Louis 110, Boston 109 (Bob Pettit scores 50 points, tying the then-NBA playoff record at the time)
Last Playoffs meeting: 1957 NBA Finals (Boston won 4-3).