1958 in jazz
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1958 in jazz|
Jazz pianist Billy Strayhorn in 1958
|Decade||1950s in jazz|
|Music||1958 in music|
|Standards||List of post-1950 jazz standards|
|See also||1957 in jazz – 1959 in jazz|
1958 in jazz:
- A Great Day in Harlem, a black and white group photograph of 57 notable jazz musicians, is taken in front of a brownstone building in Harlem, New York City, on August 12.
- Ella Fitzgerald wins at the 1st Grammy Awards in Best Female Vocal Performance category for The Irving Berlin Songbook (album) and Best Individual Jazz Performance for The Duke Ellington Songbook (album).
- Sonny Rollins: Freedom Suite
- Jimmy Giuffre: Western Suite
- Sun Ra: Jazz in Silhouette
- Art Blakey: Moanin'
- Cecil Taylor: Looking Ahead!
- Jimmy Smith: The Sermon!
- Blue Mitchell: Big Six
- Max Roach: Deeds, Not Words
- Clark Terry: In Orbit
- Cannonball Adderley: Somethin' Else
- Chico Hamilton: Gongs East
- Hank Mobley: Peckin' Time
- Mongo Santamaria: Yambu
- Cal Tjader: Latin Concert
- Toots Thielemans: Man Bites Harmonica!
- Thelonious Monk: Misterioso
- Jimmy Giuffre: The Four Brothers Sound
- Carl Perkins, American jazz pianist
- Danny Alvin, American jazz drummer and bandleader
- Doc Cook, American jazz bandleader and arranger
- Fulton McGrath, American jazz pianist and songwriter
- George E. Lee, American jazz bandleader.
- Herbie Fields, American Alto saxophone and clarinet player, bandleader
- Joe Morris, jazz and rhythm and blues trumpeter and bandleader
- Lorraine Geller, American jazz pianist
- Martha Boswell, American singer and pianist
- Shifty Henry, American musician, most noted as a double bass and bass guitar player, and blues songwriter
- Sterling Bose, American jazz trumpeter and cornetist
- Ted Donnelly, American jazz trombonist.
- Tiny Bradshaw, American jazz and rhythm and blues bandleader, singer, composer, pianist, and drummer
- Tom Brown, New Orleans dixieland jazz trombonist
- W. C. Handy, American blues composer and musician
- Ana Caram, singer, guitarist and flutist
- Andrew Lamb, saxophponist and flautist
- Anita Baker, singer-songwriter
- Bajone, singer
- Bill Evans, saxophonist
- Bruce Barth, pianist
- Bruno Marini, Italian baritone saxophone and Hammond organ player
- Béla Fleck, banjo player
- Carles Cases,
- Carlos del Junco, harmonica musician
- Chieli Minucci, guitarist, composer, producer
- Claude Deppa, trumpeter
- David Berkman, pianist, composer, arranger
- David Finck, bassist
- David Hazeltine, pianist
- Don Byron, composer and multi-instrumentalist
- Don Laka, pianist, songwriter, producer
- Ellen Sandweiss,
- Frans Bak, composer, saxophonist, pianist
- Gar Samuelson, drummer
- George Koller, bassist and multi-instrumentalist
- George Schuller, drummer
- Greg Boyer, trombonist
- Howard Alden, guitarist
- Jair-Rôhm Parker Wells,
- Jakko Jakszyk, guitarist, singer-songwriter
- Jeanie Bryson, singer
- Jerry Zigmont, trombonist
- Jesse Boyd, bassist
- Jesse McGuire, trumpeter
- Jim Campilongo, guitarist/composer
- Jim Snidero, saxophonist
- Joe DeRenzo, drummer, compser and producer
- Kenny Drew, Jr., pianist
- Kenny Washington, drummer
- Kevin Mahogany, vocalist
- Kirk Whalum, saxophonist and songwriter
- Lannie Battistini, keyboardist, composer
- Leon Lee Dorsey, bassist
- Leroy Jones, trumpeter
- Lewis Nash, drummer
- Mary Ann Redmond, singer
- Michael Formanek, bassist
- Michael Weiss, pianist and composer
- Nancy Zeltsman, marimba soloist
- Paul Grabowsky, pianist and composer
- Roberto Gatto, drummer
- Rodney Franklin, pianist and composer
- Ronan Guilfoyle,
- Stevie Vallance,
- Tom Schuman, keyboardist
- Wolfgang Mitterer,
- The New Real Book, Volume I. Sher Music. 1988. ISBN 0-9614701-4-3.
- The New Real Book, Volume II. Sher Music. 1991. ISBN 0-9614701-7-8.
- The New Real Book, Volume III. Sher Music. 1995. ISBN 1-883217-30-X.
- The Real Book, Volume I (6th ed.). Hal Leonard. 2004. ISBN 0-634-06038-4.
- The Real Book, Volume II (2nd ed.). Hal Leonard. 2007. ISBN 1-4234-2452-2.
- The Real Book, Volume III (2nd ed.). Hal Leonard. 2006. ISBN 0-634-06136-4.
- The Real Jazz Book. Warner Bros. ISBN 978-91-85041-36-7.
- The Real Vocal Book, Volume I. Hal Leonard. 2006. ISBN 0-634-06080-5.