1960 Toronto Argonauts season
|1960 Toronto Argonauts season|
|Head coach||Lou Agase|
|Home field||Exhibition Stadium|
|Division place||1st, East|
|Playoff finish||Lost Eastern Final|
The 1960 Toronto Argonauts finished in first place in the Eastern Conference with a 10–4–0 record. Their first-place finish earned them a bye to the Eastern Finals. The Argonauts lost both games of the two-game, total point Finals to the eventual Grey Cup champion Ottawa Rough Riders.
After playing (and losing to) the NFL Chicago Cardinals in 1959, the Argonauts hosted the NFL Pittsburgh Steelers at CNE Stadium on August 3 in the second of three interleague games hosted in Toronto and lost 43–16. Both teams used 12 players, with a handful of NFL rules (blocking, punt returns) blended into the Canadian game.
|A||July 27||Stampeders||Exhibition Stadium||W 51–30||12,692||1–0–0|
|B||August 3||Pittsburgh Steelers (NFL)||Exhibition Stadium||L 43–16||23,570||1–1–0|
|C||August 10||Tiger-Cats||Exhibition Stadium||W 14–7||10,282||2–1–0|
|Ottawa Rough Riders||14||9||5||0||400||283||18|
|1||August 16||@ Rough Riders||Landsdowne Park||W 21–7||20,321||1–0–0|
|1||August 19||Alouettes||Exhibition Stadium||W 36–14||26,524||2–0–0|
|2||August 26||@ Alouettes||Molson Stadium||W 29–28||24,533||3–0–0|
|3||September 5||@ Tiger-Cats||Civic Stadium||W 32–21||26,253||4–0–0|
|4||September 11||Tiger-Cats||Exhibition Stadium||W 16–12||30,863||5–0–0|
|5||September 14||@ Rough Riders||Landsdowne Park||L 21–12||20,477||5–1–0|
|5||September 18||Rough Riders||Exhibition Stadium||L 26–12||30,949||5–2–0|
|6||September 24||@ Alouettes||Molson Stadium||W 21–9||23,452||6–2–0|
|7||October 1||Alouettes||Exhibition Stadium||W 50–15||24,145||7–2–0|
|8||October 7||Tiger-Cats||Exhibition Stadium||W 24–14||27,494||8–2–0|
|9||October 10||@ Tiger-Cats||Civic Stadium||L 20–16||25,873||8–3–0|
|10||October 16||Rough Riders||Exhibition Stadium||W 37–13||32,896||9–3–0|
|11||October 22||@ Rough Riders||Landsdowne Park||L 38–1||19,119||9–4–0|
|12||October 30||Alouettes||Exhibition Stadium||W 63–27||26,069||10–4–0|
(two game, total point series)
|IRFU Final Game 1||November 12||@ Rough Riders||Landsdowne Park||L 33–21||18,385|
|IRFU Final Game 2||November 20||Rough Riders||Exhibition Stadium||L 21–20||30,529|
- Ottawa won the series 54–41. Ottawa advanced to play the Edmonton Eskimos in the Grey Cup.
Schenley Award Nominees
|Cookie Gilchrist||Bill Mitchell||Dick Fouts|
- Cookie Gilchrist was the Eastern nominee for CFL Most Outstanding Player Schenley Award, but lost the award to Jackie Parker of the Edmonton Eskimos. Parker received 37 votes; Gilchrist received 33.
- "All-Time Coaching". Toronto Argonauts. Archived from the original on 22 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "Toronto Argonauts Stadium History". Toronto Argonauts. Archived from the original on 22 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "1960 Toronto Argonauts". Pro Football Archives. Retrieved 2011-01-24.
- "1960 Regular Season Standings". Canadian Football League. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
|This Canadian football-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|