Second National Population Census of the People's Republic of China
The Second National Population Census of the People's Republic of China (PRC), also referred to as the 1964 Chinese Census, was conducted by the People's Republic of China with a zero hour of 1 July 1964. The results of the census were not publicized and its very existence was not officially acknowledged until the early 1980s.
The 1964 census included additional information about education, occupation, and class to the information gathered by the first census concering name, age, sex, nationality, and relationship to heads of households.
The census found the total population of Mainland China in 1964 as 694,581,759.
However, the official summaries published in Chinese Sociology and Anthropology by the Chinese State Statistical Bureau in 1984 listed the 1964 population as 723,070,269. China's official Xinhua news organization continues to report this larger figure.
The census found approximately 356,520,000 men and 338,060,000 women living in China, a ratio of 105.46 to 100.
The average household size was 4.43, an increase of 1/10 person per household from the previous census. 40.69% of the population was 14 or under; 55.75% of the population was between 15 and 64; and 3.56% of the population was 65 or older.
127,100,000 Chinese were classified as living in cities, an urbanization rate of 18.30%.
|1952 Census||1964 Census||Change||% Change|
|Hebei[n 3][n 4]||35,984,644||45,687,781||7,009,306||18.12|
|Sichuan[n 5][n 6]||62,303,999||67,956,490||2,271,427||3.46|
|Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region||19,560,822||20,845,017||1,284,195||6.57|
|Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region[n 4]||6,100,104||12,348,638||6,248,534||102.4|
|Xizang Autonomous Region
|Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region||4,873,608||7,270,067||2,396,459||49.17|
As with the 1953 census, the accuracy of the Second National Population Census was questioned by many outside observers. The information collected about occupation and education was so unsystematic, it could not even be accurately tabulated, although the nation's illiteracy rate was recorded as 32.26% and 33.58%.
- Demographics of China
- Urbanization in the People's Republic of China
- First National Population Census of the People's Republic of China (1953)
- Third National Population Census of the People's Republic of China (1982)
- Sixth National Population Census of the People's Republic of China (2010)
- The population Ningxia was detached from the 1964 figures.
- Includes the modern Hainan province.
- All 1964 figures incorporate Tianjin municipality.
- 1964 population figure includes incorporation of parts of Rehe Province.
- Includes the modern Chongqing municipality.
- All 1964 figures incorporate Xikang province.
- Chinese State Statistical Bureau. "Major statistics from the second population census (1964)". Chinese Sociology and Anthropology. 1984 Spring-Summer; 16(3-4):66-8. Accessed 28 Mar 2012.
- Kirkby, Richard J.R. Urbanisation in China: town and country in a developing economy, 1949-2000 AD. Taylor & Francis, 1985. ISBN 0709915489. Accessed 28 Mar 2012.
- Aird, John S. "The Preparations for China's 1982 Census". The China Quarterly, No. 91 (Sept 1982), pp. 369-385. Cambridge University Press.
- Xinhua Net. "Backgrounder: China's national population censuses". 28 Apr 2011. Accessed 28 Mar 2012.
- National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. Cit. in Coutsoukis, Photius. Allcountries.org: "4-4 Basic Statistics on National Population Census in 1953, 1964, 1982, 1990 and 2000". 2006. Accessed 28 Mar 2012.