1963 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1953 . 1954 . 1955 . 1956 . 1957 . 1958 . 1959 ...
1960 1961 1962 -1963- 1964 1965 1966
... 1967 . 1968 . 1969 . 1970 . 1971 . 1972 . 1973 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- January 8 - Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa is exhibited in the United States for the first time, at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.
- September - The David Mirvish Gallery is opened in Toronto by David Mirvish.
- First Pirelli Calendar (for 1964), photographed by Robert Freeman in Majorca, issued in the United Kingdom.
- Visione e Colore, Palazzo Grassi, Venice
- Morris Louis memorial exhibition, Guggenheim Museum, New York City
- Georg Baselitz - Die große Nacht im Eimer (Museum Ludwig, Cologne)
- Romare Bearden - Prevalence of Ritual
- Maurice Boitel - Cadaques
- M. C. Escher - Möbius Strip II (Red Ants) (woodcut)
- Edward Hopper - Two Comedians
- Roy Lichtenstein
- René Magritte - The Difficult Crossing (2nd version)
- Lewis Morley - Christine Keeler (photograph)
- John Piper and Patrick Reyntiens - windows at St Andrew's Church, Plymouth
- Andy Warhol
- David Wynne
- January 20 - Mark Ryden, American painter
- April 20 - Rachel Whiteread, English sculptor
- May 16 - Jon Coffelt American painter, sculptor and book artist
- May 31 - Wesley Willis, American artist and musician (d. 2003)
- June 24 - Mike Wieringo, American comic book artist (d. 2007)
- July 20 - Ciruelo Cabral, Argentine fantasy artist
- August 16 - Stevenson Magloire, painter of the School of Saint Soleil (d. 1994)
- date unknown - Marco Evaristti, Chilean sculptor.
- February 27 - Vladimir Konashevich, Russian graphic artists (b. 1888).
- March 1 - Felice Casorati, painter (b. 1883)
- June 9 - Jacques Villon, Cubist painter and printmaker (b. 1875)
- July 16 - Antonio Donghi, painter (b. 1897)
- July 23 - Aleksandr Gerasimov, Socialist realism artist (b. 1881)
- August 11 - Alois Arnegger, Austrian painter (b. 1879)
- August 31 - Georges Braque, painter and sculptor (b. 1882)
- September 11 - Suzanne Duchamp, Dadaist painter and sister of Marcel Duchamp (b. 1889)
- September 19 - David Low, New Zealand-born editorial cartoonist (b. 1891)
- October 20 - Everett Warner, American impressionist painter and printmaker (b. 1877)