The 1964-65 NBA season was the Celtics' 19th season in the NBA. The Celtics finished the season by winning their eighth NBA Championship. The team was named one of the 10 greatest teams in NBA history. In addition five players were inducted into the hall of fame K.C. Jones, Sam Jones, Tom Heinsohn, Bill Russell, and John Havlicek, three of whom were selected as one of the NBA's 50 greatest players, Sam Jones, Havlicek, and Russell. Both Coach Auerbach and John Thompson were elected into the hall of fame as coaches.
The 1965 NBA Draft took place on May 4, 1964.
East Division Semifinals
The Celtics had a division semifinal bye.
East Division Finals
(1) Boston Celtics vs. (3) Philadelphia 76ers: Celtics win series 4–3
- Game 1 @ Boston: Boston 108, Philadelphia 98
- Game 2 @ Philadelphia: Philadelphia 109, Boston 103
- Game 3 @ Boston: Boston 112, Philadelphia 94
- Game 4 @ Philadelphia: Philadelphia 134, Boston 131 (OT)
- Game 5 @ Boston: Boston 114, Philadelphia 108
- Game 6 @ Philadelphia: Philadelphia 112, Boston 106
- Game 7 @ Boston: Boston 110, Philadelphia 109
Celtics win series 4–1
Awards and honors