1964 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1964 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
- Prime Minister of India – Jawaharlal Nehru until 27 May, Gulzarilal Nanda until 9 June (acting Prime Minister), Lal Bahadur Shastri
- 27 May - Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru dies after a five-month illness; he is succeeded by Lal Bahadur Shastri.
- The Vishva Hindu Parishad is founded.
- Hazratbal disappearance episode
Arts and literature
- 2 September - Indian Hungry generation poets arrested on charges of conspiracy against the State and Obscenity in literature.
- National Film Archive of India established in Pune.
- 24 April - Sailendra Dwivedi, writer.
- 8 July-Sanjay Alung,writer
- 13 August - Harisree Ashokan, actor.
- 27 September - Kishore Nagarmat, automobile engineer.
- 10 December - Jayaram, actor.
Full date unknown
- Bem Le Hunte, author.
- 27 May - Jawaharlal Nehru, politician and 1st Prime Minister of India (b. 1889).
- 2 October - Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, freedom fighter, social activist and Health Minister (b. 1889).
- 10 October - Guru Dutt, film director, producer, and actor (b. 1925).