1965 South African Grand Prix
|Race 1 of 10 in the 1965 Formula One season|
|Date||1 January 1965|
|Official name||XI South African Grand Prix|
|Location||Prince George Circuit
East London, South Africa
|Course||Permanent racing facility
3.920 km (2.436 mi)
|Distance||85 laps, 333.175 km (207.025 mi)|
|Time||1:27.6 on lap 80|
Jim Clark celebrated Hogmanay by dominating the race, leading from pole and breaking the 100 mph barrier, winning by half a minute from Graham Hill and John Surtees and even had time to complete an extra lap after the chequered flag was waved a lap too early. Mike Spence, Bruce McLaren and débutant Jackie Stewart completed the points positions. Goodyear made their Grand Prix début with the Brabham team, challenging the Dunlop monopoly.
- Lap Leaders: Jim Clark 85 laps (1-85).
- Grand Prix debut for: Dave Charlton, Paul Hawkins, Jackie Pretorius, and Jackie Stewart. Only Grand Prix appearance for Clive Puzey.
- Last Grand Prix appearance for: Trevor Blokdyk, Neville Lederle, Tony Maggs, Brausch Niemann, Ernie Pieterse, David Prophet, and Doug Serrurier.
- Career Firsts: Jackie Stewart (points).
- First time a podium exactly repeated an earlier podium (Clark, Surtees, G.Hill - 1963 British Grand Prix)
Championship standings after the race
- Notes: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
1964 Mexican Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1965 Monaco Grand Prix
1963 South African Grand Prix
|South African Grand Prix||Next race:
1966 South African Grand Prix