The 1966 Australian Drivers' Championship was a CAMS sanctioned motor racing title for drivers of racing cars complying with either the Australian National Formula or the Australian 1½ Litre Formula. The winner of the title, which was the tenth Australian Drivers' Championship, was awarded the 1966 CAMS Gold Star.
The championship was contested over a six round series with one race per round.
- Round 1, Governor's Trophy, Lakeside, Queensland, 10 July
- Round 2, Surfers Paradise Trophy, Surfers Paradise, Queensland, 14 August
- Round 3, Mallala, South Australia, 10 October 1966
- Round 4, Victorian Trophy, Sandown, Victoria, 16 October
- Round 5, Examiner 1000, Symmons Plains Raceway, Tasmania, 13 November
- Round 6, Hordern Trophy, Warwick Farm, New South Wales, 4 December
All rounds also incorporated rounds of the 1966 Australian One and a Half Litre Championship.
Championship points were awarded on a 9-6-4-3-2-1 basis to the first six finishers in each round. Only the best five round results could be obtained by each driver.
Note: Frank Gardner (Repco-Brabham) won the Hordern Trophy but was not awarded championship points as he was not classified as an "Australian Resident".
Notes and references
- ^ a b c CAMS Manual of Motor Sport, 1966, pages 70-71
- ^ CAMS Online Manual of Motor Sport > About CAMS > Titles - CAMS Gold Star Retrieved from www.camsmanual.com.au on 8 September 2009
- ^ 1966 Gold Star races Retrieved from members.optusnet.com.au/dandsshaw on 8 September 2009
- ^ Championship points and final championship positions have been compiled from data in race reports published in Racing Car News magazines (as listed in Further reading)
- ^ Car details have been compiled from data in race reports published in Racing Car News magazines (as listed in Further reading) with additional data from members.optusnet.com.au/dandsshaw
- ^ Entrant details have been compiled from data in race reports published in Racing Car News magazines (as listed in Further reading) with additional data from members.optusnet.com.au/dandsshaw
- ^ Guide to the Gold Star, page iv, Supplement to Racing Car News, August 1972
- Jim Shepherd, A History of Australian Motor Sport, 1980
- Australian Motor Racing Annual, 1967
- Martin the Master at Lakeside, Racing Car News, August 1966, pages 20–21
- Martin Scores Magnificent Gold Star, Racing Car News, September 1966, pages 34–36
- Harvey Wins by Large Margin, The Advertiser, 11 October 1966
- Harvey Heads for 1½ Litre Title, Racing Car News, November 1966, page 34
- Solid Sandown, Racing Car News, December 1966, page 18
- Cusack’s Luck Changes, Racing Car News, December 1966, pages 34–35
- Spencer Martin – Australia’s Champion, Racing Car News, January 1967, pages 28–29