1966 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1966 in the Republic of India.
|President of India||Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan|
|Prime Minister of India||Lal Bahadur Shastri
until 24 January (acting Prime Minister)
- 3 January - Prime Minister of India Lal Bahadur Shastri and President of Pakistan Ayub Khan sign a Soviet-mediated peace pact in Tashkent, Uzbek S.S.R.
- 11 January - Prime Minister Shastri dies of heart attack in Tashkent.
- 19 January - Supported by provincial Congress chief ministers, Indira Gandhi becomes prime minister.
- 28 March - Indira Gandhi visits Washington, D.C..
- 19 June: Shiv Sena founded by Bal Thackeray.
- 12 July - Indira Gandhi visits Moscow.
- 17 November - Reita Faria, Femina Miss India is crowned Miss World 1966, the first Indian to win the title.
- 11 January - Sunil Kumar Mahato, politician, assassinated (d.2007).
- 3 March - Amira Abraham, novelist.
- 3 May - Firdous Bamji, actor.
- 14 July - Sachin Puthran, entrepreneur.
- 28 August - Priya Dutt, politician.
- September - Faisal Khan, actor.
- 5 December - Dayanidhi Maran, politician.
Full date unknown
- Raj Kamal Jha, novelist and journalist.
- 11 January - Lal Bahadur Shastri, politician and 2nd Prime Minister of India (b. 1904).
- 21 January - Dr. Manubhai P. Vaidya, Educationist and recipient of Best Teacher Award from Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, The President of India (b. 1905).
- Devarakonda Balagangadhara Tilak, poet, novelist and short story writer (b. 1921).