1966 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1956 . 1957 . 1958 . 1959 . 1960 . 1961 . 1962 ...
1963 1964 1965 -1966- 1967 1968 1969
... 1970 . 1971 . 1972 . 1973 . 1974 . 1975 . 1976 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- The Hairy Who, a group of surrealist iconoclasts later called the Chicago Imagists, first exhibit at the Hyde Park Art Center in Chicago. They will be the most important art movement to come out of Chicago in the 1960s.
- Retrospective exhibition of Marcel Duchamp organized by Richard Hamilton at the Tate Gallery, London, the only comprehensive exhibition of the artist's work in the United Kingdom as of 2006.
- The second New York City Armory Show 9 Evenings: Theatre and Engineering sponsored by E.A.T. - Experiments in Art and Technology.
- Artist Placement Group set up in the United Kingdom.
- December 30/31 - Eight paintings are stolen from Dulwich Picture Gallery in London, but are recovered locally within a week.
- Carl Andre - Equivalent VIII ("The Bricks"; minimalist sculpture)
- Lou Dorfsman - Gastrotypographicalassemblage (wood typography for CBS Building, New York)
- Marcel Duchamp - Étant donnés (tableau)
- Sorel Etrog - Embrace
- Barbara Hepworth - Elegy III (bronze)
- David Hockney
- Roy Lichtenstein - Yellow and Green Brushstrokes'
- William Underhill - Ursa Major (sculpture)
- Andy Warhol - Since (film)
- 12 January - Rob Zombie, artist and musician
- 31 January - Christian Cardell Corbet, portrait sculptor, painter and art historian
- 20 April - Bio, graffiti artist
- 4 October - Angus Fairhurst, Young British Artist, installation, photography and video artist (d.2008)
Full date unknown
- Jodi Bieber, South African photographer
- Jeremy Deller, Turner Prize-winning artist
- Amin Gulgee, Pakistani sculptor
- January 6 - Jean Lurçat, painter and designer
- January 11 - Alberto Giacometti, Surrealist sculptor and painter
- February 17 - Hans Hofmann, abstract expressionist painter, teacher (b. 1880)
- March 30 - Maxfield Parrish, painter and illustrator (b. 1870)
- April 3 - Battista Farina, car designer
- April 13 - Carlo Carrà, Italian painter (b. 1881)
- May 30 - Wäinö Aaltonen, sculptor
- June 7 - Jean Arp, painter and sculptor (b. 1886)
- July 10 - Malvina Hoffman, sculptor
- July 29 - Edward Gordon Craig, theatrical designer (b. 1872)
- August 16 - Gavriil Gorelov, Russian painter (b. 1880).
- December 20 - Matvey Manizer, Russian sculptor (b. 1891).