1968 Cannes Film Festival
|1968 Cannes Film Festival|
Official poster of the 21st Cannes Film Festival, an original illustration by Beaugendre.
|Opening film||Gone with the Wind|
|Closing film||Rocky Road To Dublin
(Final film screened)
|Awards||No award was given|
|Hosted by||Grace Kelly|
|Number of films||28 (In Competition)
4 (Out of Competition)
11 (Short Film)
11 (Films screened from in-competition)
17 (Films cancelled from in-competition)
|Festival date||10 May 1968– 24 May 1968|
The festival opened with the restored version of Gone with the Wind, directed by Victor Fleming. Lennon's documentary Rocky Road To Dublin was to be the final film screened at the festival on 17 May. Immediately after the screening Jean-Luc Godard and Claude Lelouche got on stage and announced that, in solidarity with the workers and the students who were protesting across France, the festival was to end. Many of the directors withdrew their films from the festival. Next day on May 18, 1968 the screening of Peppermint Frappé by Carlos Saura was canceled, which caused commotion in the audience who wanted the festival to go on. Finally on May 19, five days before the end of festival's scheduled, the festival was called off.
- André Chamson (France)
- Monica Vitti (Italy)
- Claude Aveline (France)
- Boris von Borrezholm (Germany)
- Veljko Bulajić (Yugoslavia)
- Paul Cadeac d'Arbaud (France)
- Jean Lescure (France)
- Louis Malle (France)
- Jan Nordlander (Sweden)
- Roman Polanski (Poland)
- Robert Rozhdestvensky (USSR)
- Terence Young (UK)
Feature film competition
- Seduto alla sua destra by Valerio Zurlini
- Vingt-quatre heures de la vie d'une femme by Dominique Delouche
- Anna Karenina by Aleksandr Zarkhi
- Banditi a Milano by Carlo Lizzani
- Charlie Bubbles by Albert Finney
- Csillagosok, katonák by Miklós Jancsó
- Das Schloß by Rudolf Noelte
- Doktor Glas by Mai Zetterling
- Feldobott kö by Sándor Sára
- Fényes szelek by Miklós Jancsó
- Grazie, zia by Salvatore Samperi
- Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush by Clive Donner
- Hoří, má panenko by Miloš Forman
- I protagonisti by Marcello Fondato
- Je t'aime, je t'aime by Alain Resnais
- Joanna by Mike Sarne
- Les Gauloises bleues by Michel Cournot
- Mali vojnici by Bahrudin Čengić
- O slavnosti a hostech by Jan Němec
- Peppermint Frappé by Carlos Saura
- Petulia by Richard Lester
- Rozmarné léto by Jiří Menzel
- Tuvia Vesheva Benotav by Menahem Golan
- The Girl on a Motorcycle by Jack Cardiff
- The Long Day's Dying by Peter Collinson
- Trilogy by Frank Perry
- Yabu no naka no kuroneko by Kaneto Shindō
- Zywot Mateusza by Witold Leszczyński
Feature film Out of Competition
- Gone with the Wind by Victor Fleming
- Toby Dammit by Federico Fellini
- Metzengerstein by Roger Vadim
- William Wilson by Louis Malle
- "Posters 1968". Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- "Flashback: Cannes 1968". Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- "Official Selection 1968 : All the Selection". Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- "1968 - On the beach, pavers". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "1968 Cannes Film Festival opening film gone with the wind". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "The History of Cannes". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Rocky Road to Dublin". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Righteous Eire". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Claude Lelouch, Jean-Luc Godard, and François Truffaut". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "1968 Cannes fest revisited". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Cannes 1968: Fighting on the Beaches". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Cannes 1968". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Festival de Cannes: 1968 In Competition". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- 1968 Cannes Film Festival
- Cannes Film Festival 1968
- Cannes Film Festival:1968 at Internet Movie Database
- 21ème Festival International du Film - Cannes