1968 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1958 . 1959 . 1960 . 1961 . 1962 . 1963 . 1964 ...
1965 1966 1967 -1968- 1969 1970 1971
... 1972 . 1973 . 1974 . 1975 . 1976 . 1977 . 1978 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- March 5 - Musical chess match between Marcel Duchamp and John Cage takes place at Ryerson Polytechnic, Toronto.
- July 17 - Release of the animated musical fantasy film Yellow Submarine in the United Kingdom, directed by George Dunning with art direction by Heinz Edelmann.
- New building for the São Paulo Museum of Art (MASP) in Brazil, designed by Lina Bo Bardi, is built.
- Rubens' The Adoration of the Magi (1634) is installed as an altarpiece at King's College Chapel, Cambridge.
- Archibald Prize: William Edwin Pidgeon - Lloyd Rees
- Elaine Hamilton wins first prize at the Biennale de Menton, France
- Eva Hesse - Chain Polymers, Fischbach Gallery, W. 57th Street, New York City
- Ralph Hotere - Black Paintings, Auckland, New Zealand
- William Anders - Earthrise (photograph)
- Alexander Calder - Gwenfritz (stabile)
- Donald De Lue - The Special Warfare Memorial Statue
- Mark di Suvero - Snowplow (sculpture)
- M. C. Escher - Metamorphosis III (colored woodcut print)
- Barbara Hepworth - Two Figures (sculpture)
- Eduardo Kingman - Fin de Mascarada
- Joan Miró - begins series The navigator's hope
- Henry Moore - Three-Piece No. 3: Vertebrae (Working Model)
- Robert Motherwell - Open #23 (loaned by Graham Gund to Museum of Fine Arts, Boston)
- Otto Muehl and followers of Viennese Actionism - Kunst und Revolution (performance art)
- Isamu Noguchi - Octetra (concrete sculpture)
- Kenneth Snelson - Needle Tower
- David Wynne - River God Tyne and Swans in Flight (sculptures, Newcastle Civic Centre)
- Pangborn-Herndon Memorial Site (memorial column)
- July 23 - Paulo Henrique (choreographer), Portuguese multidisciplinary artist
- December 23 - Manuel Rivera-Ortiz, documentary photographer
- date unknown - George Henry Smyth, Northern Irish artist
- February 11 - Jacob Steinhardt, German-born Jewish painter and woodcut artist (born 1887)
- April 26 - John Heartfield, German graphic designer (b. 1891)
- May 21 - Bror Hjorth, Swedish sculptor (born 1894)
- May 28 - Kees van Dongen, Dutch Fauvist painter (born 1877)
- July 2 - Sir Hans Heysen, German-born Australian watercolour painter (born 1877)
- July 16 - William John Leech, Irish painter (born 1881)
- October 2 - Marcel Duchamp, influential French artist (born 1887)
- November - Lee Gatch, American painter and mixed-media artist (born 1902)
- November 4 - Michel Kikoine, Litvak-born French painter (born 1892)
- date unknown