1969 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1969 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – Zakir Hussain until 3 May, V. V. Giri until 20 July (acting president), Mohammad Hidayatullah until 24 August (acting president), V. V. Giri
- Prime Minister of India – Indira Gandhi
- 18 September: Start of the 1969 Gujarat riots
- Exact date unknown
- Indian National Congress splits into two factions. One led by Indira Gandhi and another led by Morarji Desai.
- Rajdhani Express was introduced in 1969.
- 14 banks nationalised by Indira Gandhi
- India was close to insolvency in 1969
- 7 January - Mandakini, actress.
- 7 November - Nandita Das, actress.
- 11 December - Viswanathan Anand, chess grandmaster and current World Chess Champion.
Full date unknown
- Soumya Bhattacharya, journalist and author.
- 31 January - Meher Baba, mystic and spiritual master (born 1894).
- 23 February - Madhubala, actress (born 1933).
- 3 May - Zakir Hussain, politician and third President of India (born 1897).
- 28 July - Annabhau Sathe, social reformer and writer (born 1920).
2 February C.N.Annadurai politian-chief Minister of Tamil Nadu(State of India)
|This Indian history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|