1969 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1959 . 1960 . 1961 . 1962 . 1963 . 1964 . 1965 ...
1966 1967 1968 -1969- 1970 1971 1972
... 1973 . 1974 . 1975 . 1976 . 1977 . 1978 . 1979 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- October 5 - Monty Python's Flying Circus is broadcase for the first time on BBC Television, with Terry Gilliam's animations.
- Andy Warhol and Gerard Malanga co-found the magazine, Interview.
- Opening of the Oakland Museum of California.
- Lyrical Abstraction exhibition debuts at the Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum marking a significant return to expressivity in American abstract painting. For two years the exhibition travels throughout the U.S. including to the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York City.
- Kenojuak Ashevak - The Owl
- Michael Ayrton - The Arkville Minotaur
- Alexander Calder - La Grande Vitesse (sculpture)
- Helen Frankenthaler - Slice of Stone Itself
- Ronnie Landfield - Diamond Lake
- Kanda Nissho - Snow Farm
- Enzo Plazzotta - Baigneuse
- Jean-Paul Riopelle - La Joute (public sculptural installation, Montreal)
- Will Roberts - Redberth Village, Pembrokeshire
- Alexander Semionov - Leningrad in the Morning
- Victor Teterin - Sredne-Podjacheskaya street in Leningrad
- Nikolai Timkov - Russian Winter
- January 1 - Marilyn Manson, American rock musician and painter
- date unknown
- March 14 - Ben Shahn, painter and photographer
- May 11 - T. K. Padmini, feminist painter
- July 5 - Walter Gropius, architect
- July 25 - Otto Dix, painter and printmaker (born 1891)
- November 21 - Norman Lindsay, sculptor and cartoonist (born 1879)