1971 US Open (tennis)
|1971 US Open|
|Date:||1 – 12 September|
|Category:||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Location:||Forest Hills, Queens, USA|
|Venue:||West Side Tennis Club|
|Billie Jean King |
|John Newcombe / Roger Taylor|
|Rosemary Casals / Judy Tegart Dalton |
|Billie Jean King / Owen Davidson |
The 1971 US Open was a tennis tournament that took place on the outdoor grass courts at the Forest Hills, Queens in New York City, USA. The tournament ran from 1 September until 12 September. It was the 91st staging of the US Open, and the fourth Grand Slam tennis event of 1971.
- • It was Smith's 1st career Grand Slam singles title and his 1st and only at the US Open.
- • It was King's 6th career Grand Slam singles title, her 2nd during the Open Era and her 2nd at the US Open.
- • It was Newcombe's 12th career Grand Slam doubles title, his 6th during the Open Era and his 1st at the US Open.
- • It was Taylor's 1st career Grand Slam doubles title.
- • It was Casals' 6th career Grand Slam doubles title, her 4th during the Open Era and her 2nd at the US Open.
- • It was Tegart Dalton's 8th and last career Grand Slam doubles title, her 5th during the Open Era and her 2nd at the US Open.
- John Newcombe (First Round, lost to Jan Kodeš)
- Stanley Smith (Champion)
- Arthur Ashe (Semifinals, lost to Jan Kodeš)
- Tom Okker (Semifinals, lost to Stanley Smith)
- Marty Riessen (Quarterfinals, lost to Stanley Smith)
- Cliff Richey (Third Round, lost to Jim Osborne)
- Clark Graebner (Quarterfinals, lost to Tom Okker)
- Ilie Năstase (Third Round, lost to Bob Carmichael)
- "1991 US Open – Men's Singles". ATP.
- "1971 US Open". WTA.
- "1971 US Open – Men's Doubles". ATP.
- John Barrett, ed. (1971). World of Tennis. London: Queen Anne Press. p. 108. ISBN 978-0362000917.
1970 US Open
|US Open||Succeeded by
1972 US Open
1971 Wimbledon Championships
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
1972 Australian Open