1972 L&M Championship season
|1972 L&M Continental 5000 Championship season|
The 1972 L&M Continental 5000 Championship was the Sports Car Club of America's sixth annual professional open-wheel auto racing series. It was open to Formula 5000 cars, these being Formula SCCA Class A open-wheel, single-seat cars with 5000cc restricted design engines or 3000cc unrestricted design engines. The championship as won by New Zealand driver Graeme McRae.
The championship was contested over eight races with two heats per race.
|Race||Date||Race Name||Circuit||Race winner||Car|
|1||May 7||Monterey Grand Prix||Laguna Seca Raceway||Graham McRae||Leda GM1 - Chevrolet V8|
|2||June 4||Lucerne 100||Edmonton, Alberta||David Hobbs||Lola T300 - Chevrolet V8|
|3||June 18||Watkins Glen Grand Prix||Watkins Glen International||Graham McRae||Leda GM1 - Chevrolet V8|
|4||July 16||Road America Grand Prix||Road America||Graham McRae||Leda GM1 - Chevrolet V8|
|5||July 30||Minnesota Grand Prix||Donnybrooke||Eppie Wietzes||Lola T300 - Chevrolet V8|
|6||August 20||Road Atlanta Grand Prix||Road Atlanta||Brett Lunger||Lola T300 - Chevrolet V8|
|7||September 4||Lime Rock Grand Prix||Lime Rock Park||Brett Lunger||Lola T300 - Chevrolet V8|
|8||September 24||Riverside Grand Prix||Riverside International Raceway||Brian Redman||Chevron B24 - Chevrolet V8|
Championship points were awarded to drivers on a 20-15-12-10-8-6-4-3-2-1 basis for the first ten places in each race, those places having been determined from the results of the two heats. Total points for each driver were based on the best six finishes.
- Watkins Glen L&M Grand Prix Facts Sheet, mclaren-m18-06.com Retrieved on 20 April 2014
- Wolfgang Kopfler, 1972 L&M Continental 5000 Championship, Formula A and Formula 5000 in America - Race by Race, 2003, pages 59 & 60
- 1972 SCCA L&M Continental 5000 Championship Review (Part 1), www.myf5000.com Retrieved on 21 April 2014
- 1972 SCCA L&M Continental 5000 Championship Review (Part 2), www.myf5000.com Retrieved on 21 April 2014
- F David Stone, Continental Championship - Formula 5000 comes of age, Motor Racing Year, 1973 Edition, pages 91 to 93