1972 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013)|
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1962 . 1963 . 1964 . 1965 . 1966 . 1967 . 1968 ...
1969 1970 1971 -1972- 1973 1974 1975
... 1976 . 1977 . 1978 . 1979 . 1980 . 1981 . 1982 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- 21 May – In St. Peter's Basilica (Vatican City), Laszlo Toth attacks Michelangelo's Pietà statue with a geologist's hammer, shouting that he is Jesus Christ.
- 15 September – Release in France of Luis Buñuel's surrealist film The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
- 16 September – Opening of A.I.R. Gallery at 97 Wooster Street, SoHo, New York, the first artist-run, not-for-profit gallery for women artists in the United States.
- September – Release in the United Kingdom of Ken Russell's biographical film about Gaudier-Brzeska, Savage Messiah.
- BBC Television broadcasts Ways of Seeing, a four-part series by John Berger on art.
- KUNSTEN Museum of Modern Art Aalborg, Denmark, to designs by Alvar and Elissa Aalto and Jean-Jacques Baruël, is completed.
- Costantino Nivola becomes the first non-American member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
- Friedensreich Hundertwasser publishes his architectural manifesto, Your window right – your tree duty.
- Portmeirion Pottery brings out its best-selling "Botanic Garden" design.
- Oliver Millar becomes the first full-time Surveyor of the Queen's Pictures in the United Kingdom, succeeding Anthony Blunt.
- Bronisław Chromy – Wawel Dragon (statue) installed in Kraków
- Marcelle Ferron – Untitled stained glass panel at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts
- Helen Frankenthaler – Coral Wedge
- Barbara Hepworth – Minoan Head and Assembly of Sea Forms
- Joan Jonas – Vertical Roll
- Paul McCarthy – Black and White Tapes
- Clifton Pugh – Death of a Wombat
- John Raimondi – David
- 4 April – Jørgen Larsson, Norwegian musician, sound artist and curator.
- 29 April – Roman Dirge, American comic book artist and magician.
- 12 December – Joel Cahen, Israeli curator, photographer, filmmaker and sound artist.
Full date unknown
January to June
- 19 January – Suzanne Malherbe, French illustrator and designer (b. 1892).
- 19 February – Tedd Pierce, American animated cartoon writer, animator and artist (b. 1906).
- 13 March – Tony Ray-Jones, English photographer (b. 1941).
- 23 March – Cristóbal Balenciaga, Spanish fashion designer (b. 1895).
- 27 March – M. C. Escher, Dutch graphic artist (b. 1898).
- 27 March – Ricco Wassmer, Swiss painter (b. 1915).
- 26 April – Fernando Amorsolo, Filipino painter (b. 1892).
July to December
- 31 July – Dod Procter, English painter (b. 1890).
- 23 October – Clarice Cliff, English ceramic artist (b. 1899).
- 31 October – Beta Vukanović, Serbian painter (b. 1872).
- 23 December – Norman Clyde, American mountaineer, nature photographer and naturalist (b. 1885).
- 24 December – Gisela Richter, English archaeologist and art historian (b. 1882).
- 29 December – Joseph Cornell, American artist and sculptor (b. 1903).
Full date unknown
- Pedersen, Simon Ostenfeld. "KUNSTEN Museum of Modern Art Aalborg". 1001 stories of Denmark. Danish Agency for Culture. Retrieved 2013-03-21.