1972 in the Philippines
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Years in the Philippines:||1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975|
|Centuries:||19th century · 20th century · 21st century|
|Decades:||1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s|
|Years:||1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975|
1972 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in the year 1972.
- President: Ferdinand Marcos
- Vice President: Fernando Lopez
- House Speaker: Cornelio Villareal
- Chief Justice: Roberto Concepcion
- February 15 - A Batangas-Manila Laguna transit bus collided with a truck, and plunged off the road at Barrio Calamba, Laguna, Philippines, in an incident caused by exceed speed, killing 13 people; another 41 are injured.
- June 25 – Typhoon Konsing landfalls on Luzon. It caused 131 deaths and $15 million worth of damage (year 1972).
- August 26 – September 10 – The Philippines participated in the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany.
- September 21 –
- Martial law was declared by President Marcos as Proclamation No. 1081 signed by law led to the establishment of his dictatorship and was simulcasted through national radio and television broadcasts nationwide by midnight of September 23, causing series of round-ups by police and military forces, forced ban on public rallies, tight security, strict censorship on all forms of mass media, closures of business establishments and dissolution of bicameral congress (senate and house of representatives); as well as arrest of critiques of Marcoses (like media people and politicians), notable people who are arrested such as Ka Louie Beltran, Maximo Soliven, Satur Ocampo, Benigno Aquino, Jr., Chino Roces (the founder of Manila Times and ABC-5) and the Lopez family (of ABS-CBN and Manila Chronicle — including Eugenio Lopez, Sr.)
- Assassination attempt on the life of Defense Minister Juan Ponce Enrile.
- September 23 –
- January 30 - Zoren Legaspi, Filipino actor and film director
- April 28 - Romnick Sarmenta, Filipino actor
- October 10 – Jun Lana, Filipino playwright and screenwriter
- April 26 – Fernando Amorsolo, Filipino portraitist and painter of rural Philippine landscapes (1972 National Artist of the Philippines)