1973 Cannes Film Festival
|1973 Cannes Film Festival|
Official poster of the 26th Cannes Film Festival
|Closing film||Lady Sings the Blues|
|Awards||Grand Prix (The Hireling and Scarecrow)|
|Number of films||24 (In Competition)
14 (Out of Competition)
7 (Short Film)
|Festival date||10 May 1973– 25 May 1973|
The 26th Cannes Film Festival was held on May 10–25, 1973. The Grand Prix went to the The Hireling by Alan Bridges and Scarecrow by Jerry Schatzberg. At this festival two new non-competitive sections were added: 'Étude et documents' and 'Perspectives du Cinéma Français' (which is started by the French Film Directors' Society and runs until 1991).
The festival opened with Godspell, directed by David Greene and closed with Lady Sings the Blues, directed by Sidney J. Furie. Swastika, a documentary by Philippe Mora, got negative reactions and caused disturbance among audience by showing Adolf Hitler's daily and social life. The Holy Mountain by Alejandro Jodorowsky, created controversy at the festival due to its depiction of extreme violence.
- Ingrid Bergman (Sweden)(president)
- Jean Delannoy (France)
- Lawrence Durrell (UK)
- Rodolfo Echeverria (Spain)
- Boreslav Michalek (Poland)
- François Nourissier (France)
- Leo Pestelli (Italy)(journalist)
- Sydney Pollack (USA)
- Robert Rozhdestvensky (Soviet Union) (author)
- Robert Enrico (France) (short films president)
- Samuel Lachize (France) (critic) (short films)
- Alexandre Marin (short films)
Feature film competition
- A Promessa directed by António de Macedo
- Un Amleto di meno directed by Carmelo Bene
- Ana y los lobos directed by Carlos Saura
- Belle directed by André Delvaux
- Bisturi, la mafia bianca directed by Luigi Zampa
- The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds directed by Paul Newman
- Electra Glide in Blue directed by James William Guercio
- Le Far-West directed by Jacques Brel
- Film d'amore e d'anarchia, ovvero: stamattina alle 10, in via dei Fiori, nella nota casa di tolleranza... directed by Lina Wertmüller
- Godspell directed by David Greene
- La Grande Bouffe directed by Marco Ferreri
- The Hireling directed by Alan Bridges
- L'Invitation directed by Claude Goretta
- Jeremy directed by Arthur Barron
- La maman et la putain directed by Jean Eustache
- La Mort d'un bûcheron directed by Gilles Carle
- La otra imagen directed by Antoni Ribas
- La Planète sauvage directed by René Laloux
- Monolog directed by Ilya Averbakh
- O Lucky Man! directed by Lindsay Anderson
- Petőfi '73 directed by Ferenc Kardos
- Sanatorium Pod Klepsydrą directed by Wojciech Jerzy Has
- Scarecrow directed by Jerry Schatzberg
- Vogliamo i colonnelli directed by Mario Monicelli
Films out of competition
- A Doll's House directed by Joseph Losey
- Future Shock directed by Alex Grasshoff
- L'Impossible Objet directed by John Frankenheimer
- La Nuit Américaine directed by François Truffaut
- Lady Sings the Blues directed by Sidney J. Furie
- Lo Païs directed by Gérard Guérin
- Olivier Messiaen et les Oiseaux directed by Michel Fano, Denise Tual
- Picasso, Peintre Du Siècle 1900-1973 directed by Lauro Venturi
- Swastika directed by Philippe Mora
- The Holy Mountain directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky
- Visions of Eight directed by Miloš Forman, Claude Lelouch, Yuri Ozerov, Mai Zetterling, Kon Ichikawa, John Schlesinger, Arthur Penn, Michael Pfleghar
- Viskningar och rop directed by Ingmar Bergman
- Wattstax directed by Mel Stuart
- We Can't Go Home Again directed by Nicholas Ray
Short film competition
- Az 1812-es év by Sándor Reisenbüchler
- Balablok by Břetislav Pojar
- Langage du geste by Kamal El Sheikh
- La Ligne de sceaux by Jean-Paul Torok
- Skagen 1972 by Claus Weeke
- Space Boy by Renate Druks
- La Tête by Emile Bourget
- Grand Prix du Festival International du Film:
- Grand Prix: La maman et la putain by Jean Eustache
- Jury Prize:
- Best Actor: Giancarlo Giannini for Film d'amore e d'anarchia, ovvero: stamattina alle 10, in via dei Fiori, nella nota casa di tolleranza...
- Best Actress: Joanne Woodward for The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds
- Technical Grand Prize: Viskningar och rop by Ingmar Bergman
- Special Award: La Planète sauvage by René Laloux
- Best First Work: Jeremy by Arthur Barron
- Short Film Palme d'Or: Balablok by Břetislav Pojar
- Jury Prize - Best Short Film: Az 1812-es év by Sándor Reisenbüchler
- FIPRESCI Prize:
- OCIC Award: Scarecrow by Jerry Schatzberg
- "Official Selection 1973 : All the Selection". Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- "Awards 1973 : All Awards". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "1973 - The beautiful". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Opening of the Cannes Film Festival". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Godspell". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Cannes 1973: Luigi ZAMPA interviews, previews and Jacques DUFILHO Godspell". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "FRANCE: Paul Newman and Diana Ross among stars at Cannes Film Festival prizegiving". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "College Screens Disturbing Images of 'Swastika'". Los Angeles Times. 7 February 1992. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "THE HOLY MOUNTAIN". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- 1973 Cannes Film Festival
- Cannes Film Festival 1973
- Cannes Film Festival:1973 at Internet Movie Database