1973 US Open (tennis)
|1973 US Open|
|Date:||27 August – 9 September|
|Category:||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Location:||Forest Hills, Queens, USA|
|Venue:||West Side Tennis Club|
|John Newcombe |
|Margaret Court |
|Owen Davidson / John Newcombe |
|Margaret Court / Virginia Wade |
|Billie Jean King / Owen Davidson |
The 1973 US Open was a tennis tournament that took place on the outdoor grass courts at the Forest Hills, Queens in New York, USA. The tournament ran from 27 August until 9 September. It was the 93rd staging of the US Open, and the fourth Grand Slam tennis event of 1973. It was the first year the boy's championship was held. The 1973 US Open was the first Grand Slam offering equal prize money to both men and women.
- • It was Newcombe's 6th career Grand Slam singles title, his 4th in the Open Era and his 2nd and last title at the US Open.
- • It was Court's 24th and last career Grand Slam singles title, her 11th in the Open Era and her 5th title at the US Open.
- • It was Davidson's 2nd and last career Grand Slam doubles title and his 1st and only title at the US Open.
- • It was Newcombe's 15th career Grand Slam doubles title, his 9th in the Open Era and his 3rd and last title at the US Open.
Total prize money for the event was $227,200.
- "1973 US Open – Men's Singles". ATP.
- "1973 US Open". WTA.
- "1973 US Open – Men's Doubles". ATP.
- John Barrett, ed. (1974). World of Tennis. London: Queen Anne Press. p. 61. ISBN 978-0362001679.
- John Barrett, ed. (1974). World of Tennis. London: Queen Anne Press. p. 63. ISBN 978-0362001679.
1972 US Open
|US Open||Succeeded by
1974 US Open
1973 Wimbledon Championships
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
1974 Australian Open