1973 World Snooker Championship
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Dates||16–28 April 1973|
|Venue||City Exhibition Hall|
|Total prize fund||£8,000|
- The competition took place over a fortnight, rather than the months it had taken to complete previous championships. Park Drive continued to sponsor the event.
- Cliff Thorburn and Dennis Taylor made their debuts; both would later become world champions. They played each other in the first round and Thorburn won 9–8.
- Alex Higgins beat Fred Davis in the quarter-finals 16–14. The match is noted for a rain interruption.
- Ray Reardon staged a recovery when, having trailed John Spencer 12–19, he won their semi-final 23–22. Reardon lost the first session of the final against Eddie Charlton 0–7, but went on to win 38–32. For the first time some frames of the final were televised by the BBC.
- Spencer made the highest break of the tournament with 139.
Best of 17 frames
Best of 31 frames
Best of 31 frames
Best of 45 frames
Best of 75 frames
|Pat Houlihan||9||Alex Higgins||16|
|Jackie Rea||2||Pat Houlihan||3|
|David Greaves||9||Fred Davis||16|
|Bernard Bennett||8||David Greaves||1|
|Perrie Mans||9||Eddie Charlton||16|
|Ron Gross||2||Perrie Mans||8|
|Graham Miles||9||John Pulman||10|
|Geoff Thompson||5||Graham Miles||16|
|Cliff Thorburn||9||Rex Williams||16|
|Dennis Taylor||8||Cliff Thorburn||15|
|David Taylor||9||John Spencer||16|
|John Dunning||4||David Taylor||5|
|Warren Simpson||9||Gary Owen||16|
|Maurice Parkin||3||Warren Simpson||14|
|Jim Meadowcroft||w/o||Ray Reardon||16|
|Kingsley Kennerley||w/d||Jim Meadowcroft||10|
- Turner, Chris. "World Professional Championship". cajt.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk. Chris Turner's Snooker Archive. Archived from the original on 16 April 2013. Retrieved 24 February 2011.
- "Cliff Thorburn at the World Championship". Snooker Database. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- "Dennis Taylor at the World Championship". Snooker Database. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Kastner, Hugo. "SNOOKER – Spieler, Regeln & Rekorde (May 2011 update)". Archived from the original on 27 May 2012. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- "2004 Embassy World Championship Information". Global Snooker Centre. Archived from the original on 8 December 2004. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "World Championship 1973". Global Snooker. Archived from the original on 28 December 2010. Retrieved 8 February 2011.
- "1973 World Championships Results". Snooker Database. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "Embassy World Championship". Snooker Scene. Archived from the original on 24 January 2013. Retrieved 9 May 2012.