1973 in LGBT rights
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)|
|List of years in LGBT rights (table)|
|... 1963 . 1964 . 1965 . 1966 . 1967 . 1968 . 1969 ...
1970 1971 1972 -1973- 1974 1975 1976
... 1977 . 1978 . 1979 . 1980 . 1981 . 1982 . 1983 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to LGBT history in the 1970s.|
This is a list of notable events in the history of LGBT rights that took place in the year 1973.
The Metropolitan Community Church's headquarters in Los Angeles is burned to the ground by an unknown assailant. No persons are inside of the building at the time of the fire.
- 24 – The UpStairs Lounge arson attack in the French Quarter of New Orleans kills 32 members of a Metropolitan Community Church congregation meeting.
- 10 – The Toronto city council passes a resolution banning discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation in civic hiring.
- 5 – The Supreme Court of the United States in Wainwright v. Stone finds that the sodomy law of Florida is not unconstitutionally vague, reversing a Fifth Circuit ruling.
- 9 — The Kentucky Court of Appeals rules in Jones v. Callahan that two women were properly denied a marriage license despite the gender neutrality of the state's marriage statute.
- 13 – Washington, D.C.'s Title 34 makes discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation illegal.
- 15 – The board of the American Psychiatric Association votes 13–0 to remove homosexuality from its official list of psychiatric disorders, the DSM-II. The resolution also urges an end to private and public discrimination and the repeal of laws discriminating against homosexuals.
- 20 – The city council of New York City rejects a gay rights ordinance.
- 21 – A United States federal judge issues a bulletin stating that the federal civil service may not terminate an employee based on sexual orientation alone.
- Wainwright v. Stone, 414 US 21 (Supreme Court of the United States 2010-11-05).
- Jones v. Callahan, 501 S.W.2d 588 (November 9, 1973)
- Caplan, Arthur L. (1987). Scientific controversies: case studies in the resolution and closure of disputes in science and technology. Cambridge University Press. p. 392. ISBN 0-521-27560-1.