1973 in architecture
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in architecture (table)|
|... 1963 . 1964 . 1965 . 1966 . 1967 . 1968 . 1969 ...
1970 1971 1972 -1973- 1974 1975 1976
... 1977 . 1978 . 1979 . 1980 . 1981 . 1982 . 1983 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
The year 1973 in architecture involved some significant architectural events and new buildings.
- February 14 - Vicksburg Bridge across the Mississippi River, USA.
- April 4 - The World Trade Center in New York City, New York.
- May 10 - General Belgrano Bridge, over the Paraná River, Argentina.
- July 19 - National Stadium, Singapore.
- October 20 - Sydney Opera House, designed by Jørn Utzon opens in Sydney, Australia.
- The Aon Center in Chicago, Illinois, United States, originally known as the Standard Oil Building.
- Sears Tower in Chicago, Illinois, United States, designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, becomes the tallest building in the world
- May - Sears Tower, Chicago, designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
- The Carlton Centre in Johannesburg, South Africa, becomes the tallest building in South Africa and in Africa (1973–present).
- Großgaststätte Ahornblatt, Berlin, Germany (demolished in 2000).
- Harvard Science Center at Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts, designed by Josep Lluís Sert.
- IDS Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- First Wisconsin Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Kiev TV Tower in Kiev, Ukraine.
- Mala Rijeka Viaduct, Podgorica, Montenegro.
- Tour Montparnasse in Paris, France.
- Zagreb TV Tower in Zagreb, Croatia.
- Tower 2 of the Meritus Mandarin Singapore in Singapore.
- Cromwell Tower in London, UK.
- American Academy of Arts and Letters Gold Medal – Louis Kahn
- Alvar Aalto Medal – Hakon Ahlberg
- Architecture Firm Award - Shepley Bulfinch Richardson and Abbott
- Prix de l'Académie d'Architecture de France - Kenzo Tange
- RAIA Gold Medal - Jørn Utzon
- RIBA Royal Gold Medal - Leslie Martin
- AIA Twenty-five Year Award - Taliesin West
- date unknown - Zahava Elenberg, Australian architect
- January 22 - Stanisław Staszewski, Polish architect and poet (born 1925)
- June 14 - Clifford Percy Evans, US architect (born 1889)
- June 27 - Odd Nansen, Norwegian architect, author, and humanitarian (born 1901)
- December 8 - Paul Bartholomew, US architect (born 1883))
- "Straits Times 7 Jun" - "Stadium memories: 1973-2007", The Straits Times, 30 June 2007
- Van Atta, Robert B. (1999). A Centennial History of the City of Greensburg. Greensburg, Pennsylvania: Chas. M. Henry Printing Company. p. 243.