1973 in philosophy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in philosophy (table)|
|... 1963 . 1964 . 1965 . 1966 . 1967 . 1968 . 1969 ...
1970 1971 1972 -1973- 1974 1975 1976
... 1977 . 1978 . 1979 . 1980 . 1981 . 1982 . 1983 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
1973 in philosophy
- The Twin Earth thought experiment is presented by Hilary Putnam in his paper "Meaning and Reference".
- Bruner, Jerome, Beyond the Information Given: Studies in the Psychology of Knowing. W. W. Norton, Oxford, UK
- Dummett, Michael, Frege: Philosophy of Language (rev. 1981)
- Geertz, Clifford, "Thick Description: Toward an Interpretive Theory of Culture." In: The Interpretation of Cultures: Selected Essays. (New York: Basic Books) 3-30.
- Herzberger, H. G., "Dimension of Truth," Journal of Philosophical Logic, 2, 535-556.
- Karttunen, Lauri, "Presuppositions of Compound Sentences," Linguistic Inquiry, IV:2, 169-193.
- Karttunen, Lauri, "Presupposition and Linguistic Context," Theoretical Linguistics, 1, pp. 181–194 (1974). Presented at the 1973 Winter Meeting of the Linguistic Society of America in San Diego
- Keenan, E., "Presupposition in Natural Logic," The Monist, 57:3, 344-370.
- Lakoff, George, "Pragmatics and Natural Logic," in: Murphy, J., A. Rogers, and R. Wall (eds.)
- Lewis, D. K., Counterfactuals, Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- Liberman, M. "Alternatives," in: Papers from the Ninth Regional Meeting of the Chicago Linguistic Society, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois.
- Morgan, J. L., Presupposition and the Representation of Meaning, unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois.
- Murphy, J., A. Rogers, and R. Wall (eds.) Proceedings of the Texas Conference on Performatives, Presuppositions, and Conversational Implicatures, Center for Applied Linguistics, Washington, D. C.
- Stalnaker, R. C., "Presuppositions," Journal of Philosophical Logic, 2, 447-457
- Thomason, R. H., "Semantics, Pragmatics, Conversation, and Presupposition," in: Murphy, J., A. Rogers, and R. Wall (eds.)
- date unknown - Luuk van Middelaar, Dutch historian and political philosopher
- April 28 - Jacques Maritain, French Catholic philosopher, 90
- May 26 - Karl Löwith, German philosopher, student of Heidegger, 76
- 7 July - Max Horkheimer, German philosopher, Institute for Social Research, 78
- September 5 - Roy Wood Sellars, US philosopher of critical realism and religious humanism, 93
- October 10 - Ludwig von Mises, philosopher, Austrian School economist, and classical liberal, 92