1974 Anti-Ahmadiyya riots
|1974 Anti-Ahmadiyya riots|
|Part of Persecution of Ahmadis|
|Date||29 May 1974-October 1974|
|Goals||Massacres and persecution of Ahmadis.|
25 Ahmadis mosques sealed by authorities.
The 1974 Anti-Ahmadiyya riots was the biggest persecution of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community . In Pakistan, Islamist parties, especially anti-Ahamdiyya ones, sided together to persecute the Ahmadiyya. They were boycotted and even murdered. Jamatkhanas were destroyed and every type of damage was given to the community. Zulfikar Ali Bhutto had the Parliament of Pakistan declared them non-Muslims.
Background and Reasons
The Ahmadiyya Community had a controversy with the Muslims on the issue of Finality of Prophethood. Muslims who were awaited for the second coming of Mahdi and Secong Coming of Jesus rejected the claims of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad a "Kazib" or a "Lair" on the grounds of prophethood.
Timeline of events
The riots were started by the students of Nishter Medical College Multan attack on Ahmadis present in Rabwah Railway Station. This incident triggered year long country-wide attacks on Ahmadis leading to loss of many lives and property.
- May 29 Mr. Basheer Ahmad Tahir killed in Kundiaro district Nawabshah.
- May 30 222 shops and 5 houses belonging to Ahmadis were ransacked in Chiniot. Ahmadiyya Jamat Khana was damaged in Gojra, Shorkot and Rawalpindi.
- May 31 26 Shops belonging to Ahmadis in Faisalabad, 7 shops in Bhera, 3 in Bahawalnagar, 7 in Rahim Yar Khan and 6 in Gujranwala were ransacked and burnt.
- Jun 01 Seven Ahmadis Mohammad Afzal Khokhar, Mohammad Ashraf Khokhar, Saeed Ahmad Khan, Manzoor Ahmad Khan, Mahmood Ahmad Khan, Sajjad Pervaiz and Ahmad Ali were killed in Gujranwala.
- Jun 01 Chaudhry Shaukat Hayat Killed in Hafizabad.
- Jun 02 Six Ahmadis Basheer Ahmad, Muneer Ahmad, Mohammad Ramzan, Mohammad Iqbal, Inayatullah and Ghulam Qadir killed in Gujranwala.
- Jun 02 Ahmadiyya Jamat Khana occupied by opponents in Lala Musa.
- Jun 03 Two Ahmadis killed in Gujranwala.
- Jun 03 12 shops belonging to Ahmadis ransacked in Jhang.
- Jun 04 Mohammad Ilyas Arif killed in Wah Cantt.
- Jun 04 Ahmadiyya Library burnt to ashes in Mardan.
- Jun 05 Supply of Milk was stopped to residents of Rabwah.
- Jun 05 12 Ahmadis were severally tortured in Islamabad.
- Jun 06 Factories and Houses belonging to two Ahmadis were burnt in Sargodha.
- Jun 07 Opponents offered Friday Prayers in Ahmadiyya Jamat Khana, Kohat. House belonging to an Ahmadi ransacked in Haripur, Hazara.
- Jun 08 Naqab Shah Mehmund killed in Peshawar.
- Jun 09 Syed Moulood Ahmad killed in Quetta.
- Jun 09 Two Ahmadis Ghulam Sarwar and Israar Ahmad killed in Topi (Khyber Pakhtunkwa). Israar Ahmad’s dead body was sprayed with bullets and mutilated.
- Jun 10 7 shops belonging to Ahmadis were ransacked and burnt in Mardan.
- Jun 11 Mohammad Fakhruddin Bhatti killed in Abbotabad. His corpse was also set on fire.
- Jun 11 Two Ahmadis (father and son) Mohammad Zaman Khan and Mubarak Ahmad killed in Balakot.
Jun 12 All Ahmadis were arrested in Dera Ismail Khan.
- Jun 13 Wheat crop and agricultural machinery of an Ahmadi’s farm was looted in Shah Nagar.
- Jun 14 Shop of an Ahmadi was burnt to ashes in Mailsi.
- Jun 15 House belonging to President of Jamaat Ahmadiyya, Sadhoki Gujranwala, was set on fire.
- Jun 17 Crops belonging to Ahmadis were destroyed in Chak 39DB Sargodha.
- Jun 18 12 Ahmadis were arrested in Pakpattan.
- Jun 19 Social Boycott of Ahmadis in Muridke.
- Jun 20 Ahmadiyya Jamat Khana set on fire in Tulwandi, Khajoorwali.
- Jun 21 All Ahmadiyya population of Rahim Yar Khan confined to their homes.
- Jun 22 An Ahmadi’s dead body was disinterred in Khushab.
- Jun 24 All Ahmadi shops in Sargodha were picketed.
- Jun 29 An Ahmadi father and son were tortured by Police in Chak 303GB, Toba Tek Singh.
- Jul 01 Faces of Ahmadis were blackened and they were forcibly moved through streetof Bhera.
- Jul 02 Sethi Maqbool Ahmad killed in Jehlum.
- Jul 05 Ahmadiyya Jamat Khana occupied by opponents in PakPattan.
- Jul 07 An Ahmadi’s dead body was disinterred in Khushab.
- Jul 12 Ahmadi families in Bhera started starving due to severe boycott.
- Jul 14 Doors of Ahmadiyya houses in Meeruk district Sahiwal were barricaded.
- Jul 14 All Ahmadi men were arrested in district Sargodha.
- Jul 16 Ahmadiyya delegation who went to meet detainees of Sargodha were fired upon at Sargodha Railway Station.
- Jul 18 Flour Mills refused to grind the wheat for Ahmadis.
- Jul 19 Ahmadiyya Jamat Khana attacked and occupied in Takht Hazara district Sargodha.
- Jul 21 Ahmadiyya Jamat Khana attacked and occupied in Moghulpura, Lahore.
- Jul 22 Ahmadiyya Jamat Khana attacked and occupied in Lala Musa.
- Jul 23 Supply of milk was denied to Ahmadis in Bahawalnagar.
- Jul 24 Shops of Ahmadis were forced to shut down in Sheikhupura.
- Jul 26 Ahmadiyya Jamat Khana ransacked and destroyed in Uch Shareef, Bahawalpur. All record and valuable things were burnt to ashes.
- Jul 27 Shops belonging to two Ahmadis were burnt to ashes in Okara.
- Jul 28 Punjab Chief Minister refused to meet with Ahmadiyya delegation.
- Jul 28 Ahmadiyya Jamat Khana demolished in Bhoyanwala, Gujrat.
- Jul 29 Ahmadiyya Jamat Khana sealed in Samburial, Sialkot.
- Jul 29 Ahmadis forbidden to take water from common well in Dolian Juttan.
- Jul 30 All Ahmadi residents of Burewala were expelled.
- Jul 30 Water supply and sanitation facilities were refused to Ahmadi residents of Haroonabad, Bahawalnagar
- Jul 31 Shops of Ahmadis were forced to shut down in Duska.
- Aug 01 Severe social boycott of Ahmadis in Hafizabad.
- Aug 02 An Ahmadi was tied to tree and severally beaten in Mundi Bahauddin.
- Aug 04 A barber was fined for providing hair cut to Ahmadis.
- Aug 06 Three shops belonging to Ahmadis were closed.
- Aug 09 Ahmadis were barred to enter the Mosque in Gujranwala.
- Aug 09 In Gujranwala 14 Ahmadis were dismissed from their jobs because of the disturbance they created over the descion.
- Aug 13 Ahmadiyya Jamat Khana demolished in Da’ata district Hazara.
- Aug 18 Burial of an Ahmadi woman was not allowed in Campbellpur.
- Aug 18 Mr. Mohammad Akbar, an Ahmadi, who tied up a girl in a jungle for three days in Barali, Azad Kashmir was tied up in the reply.
- Aug 24 Stone pelting and destruction of Ahmadiyya Jamat Khana in Kot Momin, Sargodha.
- Aug 24 Ahmadi students were beaten up in Multan for not obeying orders to disperse.
- Aug 27 An Ahmadi man, kidnapped a youngster from Gurmoola Virkan, Gujranwala, released him after 17 days of confinement. But as a punishment the man lost his conscious due to severe torture.
- Sep 02 Professor Abbas bin Abdul Qadir was killed in Hyderabad.
Sep 03 Stone pelting on Ahmadiyya houses in Chak 32 South, Sargodha.
- Mirza Nasir Ahmad
- Mirza Tahir Ahmad
- Maulana Abul ‘Ata Jallundhari, a renowned scholar.
- Sheikh Muhammad Ahmad Mazhar, Former Amir, Jama‘at Ahmadiyya, District Faisalabad
- Maulana Dost Muhammad Shahid, Historian of the community.
Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto and other members declared Ahmadis as Non Muslims.
After the day Oct 05 Despite the presence of Punjab Chief Minister in city, opponents played havoc with lives and property of Ahmadis in Sargodha. Ahmadiyya Mosque was demolished. Some 38 houses and shops belonging to Ahmadis were set on fire after looting valuables. Five Ahmadis sustained severe injuries. On Oct 07.Mr. Basharat Ahmad killed in Tahal district Gujrat. All meetings/conventions of auxiliary Ahmadiyya organizations were cancelled for not getting permission from Government.
It was a great loss and worst year for the community. Many important members of the community were killed. There was a great loss to the buildings. Mirza Tahir Ahmad after implementation of Ordinance XX left Pakistan to migrate for UK in 1984. The recording of debate on the Ahmadi issue was not released. Later, Ahmad prove the declaration of non-Muslims as a truth of the community. ref