1976 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1976 in the Republic of India.
- 16 April - A family planning initiative involves the vasectomy of thousands of men and tubal ligation of women, either for payment or under coercive conditions. (The minimum age for marriage is also raised to 21 years for men and 18 years for women.) The son of then-Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, Sanjay Gandhi, is largely blamed for what turned out to be a failed program. A strong backlash against any initiative associated with family planning followed the highly controversial program, which continues (in part) into the 21st century.
January to June
- 5 February - Abhishek Bachchan, actor.
- 4 April - Simran Bagga, actress.
- 9 April - Rohit Gupta, writer and inventor.
- 9 April - Nithin Sathya, actor.
- 21 May - Aditi Gowitrikar, model, actress and physician.
- 9 June - Amisha Patel, actress.
July to December
- 12 August - Baljit Singh Saini, field hockey player.
- 27 October - Pooja Batra, actress.
- 19 September - Ishaa Koppikar, actress and model.
- 15 December - Baichung Bhutia, soccer player.
- 28 July - T. Nagi Reddy, communist politician (b. 1917).
- 27 August - Mukesh, playback singer (b. 1923).
- 2 September - Vishnu Sakharam Khandekar, writer (b. 1898).
- "The Indira enigma". Frontline. 11 May 2001. Retrieved 28 July 2006.
- "Male involvement and contraceptive methods for men". Frontline. September 1996. Retrieved 28 July 2006.