1977 Nashville 420
|Race 17 of 30 in the 1977 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season
|Date||July 16, 1977|
|Location||Nashville Speedway (Nashville, Tennessee)|
|Course||Permanent racing facility
0.596 mi (0.959 km)
|Distance||420 laps, 250.3 mi (402.8 km)|
|Weather||Temperatures reaching up to 98.1 °F (36.7 °C); wind speeds up to 8 miles per hour (13 km/h)|
|Average speed||78.999 miles per hour (127.137 km/h)|
|Driver||Benny Parsons||DeWitt Racing|
|Most laps led|
|Driver||Darrell Waltrip||DiGard Motorsports|
|Television in the United States|
Four hundred and twenty laps were done on a paved oval track spanning .596 miles (0.959 km) for a grand total of 250.3 miles (402.8 km). The race took three hours, ten minutes, and nine seconds to successfully complete. Darrell Waltrip defeated Bobby Allison by more than one lap in front of seventeen thousand and five hundred people. This race was important to Waltrip as this track was considered his "local" Winston Cup Series track at the time. Ten cautions were given for fifty-four laps. Notable speeds were: 78.999 miles per hour (127.137 km/h) as the average speed and 104.21 miles per hour (167.71 km/h) as the pole position speed. Total winnings for this race were $56,175 ($218,622.86 when adjusted for inflation) and the winner walked away with $9,415 of that amount ($36,641.46 when adjusted for inflation).
Waltrip was overcome by the excessive heat shortly after the race. As a result, he took oxygen while on top of his vehicle's hood and wasn't lucid enough to give a post-race interview. Ronnie Thomas was supposed to make his debut on this track but got into a wreck and didn't get it fixed in time to qualify. He would make his debut in the 1977 running of the Old Dominion 500 (now Tums Fast Relief 500) instead.
- Darrell Waltrip (drove a 1977 Chevrolet Chevelle Laguna vehicle)
- Bobby Allison (drove a 1977 Matador vehicle)
- Richard Petty (originally scored in second but was later dropped to third)
- Cale Yarborough
- Dick Brooks†
- Buddy Baker
- Skip Manning
- J.D. McDuffie†
- Buddy Arrington
- Ricky Rudd
- Coo Coo Marlin†
- Frank Warren†
- Tighe Scott
- D.K. Ulrich
- Janet Guthrie
- Baxter Price
- Henley Gray
- Benny Parsons*†
- James Hylton
- Cecil Gordon†
- Neil Bonnett*†
- David Sisco*
- Ralph Jones*
- Sam Sommers*
- Grant Adcox*†
- Gary Myers*
- Richard Childress*
- Elmo Langley*†
- Jimmy Means*
- Mike Kempton*
† signifies that the driver is known to be deceased
* Driver failed to finish race
Standings after the race
- "1977 Nashville 420 temperature information". The Old Farmers' Almanac. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- "1977 Nashville 420 racing results". Racing Reference. Retrieved 2010-11-21.
- "1977 Nashville 420 racing results (fourth reference)". Driver Averages. Retrieved 2010-11-27.
- "1977 Nashville 420 racing results (second reference)". Nashville420.com. Retrieved 2010-11-27.
- "1977 Nashville 420 racing results (fifth reference)". Race Database. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "Richard Petty scoring enigma". How Stuff Works. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
1977 Firecracker 400
|NASCAR Winston Cup Series Season
1977 Coca-Cola 500