1977 US Open (tennis)
|1977 US Open|
|Date:||29 August – 11 September|
|Category:||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Location:||Forest Hills, Queens, USA|
|Venue:||West Side Tennis Club|
|Guillermo Vilas |
|Bob Hewitt / Frew McMillan|
|Martina Navratilova / Betty Stöve|
|Betty Stöve / Frew McMillan|
The 1977 US Open was a tennis tournament that took place on the outdoor clay courts at the Forest Hills, Queens in New York, USA. The tournament ran from 29 August until 11 September. It was the 97th staging of the US Open, and the fourth Grand Slam tennis event of 1976. This was the third and final year in which the US Open was played on clay courts. After 68 years it was the final time the championship was played at the West Side Tennis Club in Forest Hills before moving to Flushing Meadows for the 1978 tournament.
- It was Vilas's 2nd career Grand Slam title, and his 1st (and only) US Open title.
- It was Evert's 7th career Grand Slam title, and her 3rd (consecutive) US Open title.
- Collins, Bud (2010). The Bud Collins History of Tennis (2nd ed. ed.). [New York]: New Chapter Press. p. 462. ISBN 978-0942257700.
- Michael Steinberger (August 23, 2012). "Queens Was Burning, Too: The Chaotic Spectacle of the 1977 U.S. Open". The New York Times Magazine. pp. MM34.
- Collins, Bud (2010). The Bud Collins History of Tennis (2nd ed. ed.). [New York]: New Chapter Press. pp. 187, 452, 453. ISBN 978-0942257700.
1976 US Open
|US Open||Succeeded by
1978 US Open
1977 Wimbledon Championships
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
1977 Australian Open