1977 in Pakistan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)
- 10 January - Nine opposition parties form joint election forum, Pakistan National Alliance (PNA).
- 7 March - Zulfikar Ali Bhutto's political party Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) wins elections. PPP wins 155, PNA 35 seats out of 200. Soon afterwards riots erupt over allegations of vote-rigging by the PPP.
- 1 July - Friday is announced weekly holiday, replacing Sunday.
- 5 July - Pakistan's army led by General Zia ul-Haq stages a military coup and seizes power. Martial law is enforced and the Constitution suspended.
- 14 August - Pakistan celebrates 30 years of independence.
- 17 September - Zulfikar Ali Bhutto is arrested under martial law orders.
- 2 October - General Muhammad Zia ul-Haq bans all opposition; political activities are banned.
- 5 May - Sayyed Aamir Ali, educationist, writer and columnist
- 4 December - Shahid Nazir, cricketer