The Senior men's race at the 1978 IAAF World Cross Country Championships was held in Glasgow, Scotland, at the Bellahouston Park on March 25, 1978. A report on the event was given in the Glasgow Herald.
Complete results, medallists,  and the results of British athletes were published.
Senior men's race (12.3 km)
- Note: Athletes in parentheses did not score for the team result
An unofficial count yields the participation of 168 athletes from 21 countries in the Senior men's race. This is in agreement with the official numbers as published.
- ^ Marshall, Ron (March 27, 1978), Treacy leaves 'em for dead - Through a curtain of rain the binoculars confirmed what the Americans had been saying all week - Ireland's John Treacy was the man to beat in the world cross-country championships..., Glasgow Herald, p. 10, retrieved October 17, 2013
- ^ Magnusson, Tomas (September 8, 2007), IAAF World Cross Country Championships - 12.0km CC Men - Glasgow Bellahouston Park Date: Sunday, March 26, 1978, Athchamps (archived), retrieved October 17, 2013
- ^ IAAF WORLD CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS, Athletics Weekly, retrieved October 9, 2013
- ^ a b 36th IAAF WORLD CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS - EDINBURGH 2008 - FACTS & FIGURES - GREAT BRITAIN & NORTHERN IRELAND AT THE INTERNATIONAL CROSS COUNTRY & WORLD CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS, IAAF, p. 2ff, retrieved October 9, 2013