1978 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1978 in the Republic of India.
- 1 January - Air India Flight 855, a Boeing 747 passenger jet, crashes into the Arabian Sea after takeoff near Bombay, killing all 213 on board.
- 29 March – Dr. Leo Rebello pioneers a 60 lessons distance learning course in Naturopathy to train Naturopaths to serve in India’s 560,000 villages.
- 7 November - Indira Gandhi is re-elected to the Indian parliament.
- 19 December - Indira Gandhi is arrested and jailed for a week for breach of privilege and contempt of parliament.
January to June
- 13 January - Ashmit Patel, actor.
- 21 March - Rani Mukerji, actress.
- 28 March - Nafisa Joseph, model, MTV VJ, Miss India 1997 (d.2004).
- 16 April - Lara Dutta, actress, Miss Universe in 2000.
- 5 May - Sandeep Baswana, actor.
- 25 June - Aftab Shivdasani, actor.
July to December
- 29 July - Karthik Narayanan, cricketer.
- 21 August - Bhumika Chawla, actress.
- 16 September - Meena, actress.
- 4 October - Soha Ali Khan, actress.
- 18 October - Jyothika, actress.
- 20 October - Virender Sehwag, cricketer.
- 1 November - Manju Warrier, actress.
- 25 November - Sameer Dad, field hockey player.
- 25 November - Rakhi Sawant, Item girl.
Full date unknown
- Jayasurya, actor.
- 19 February - Pankaj Mullick, singer and composer (b. 1905).
- 18 November - Dhirendra Nath Ganguly, film entrepreneur, actor and director (b. 1893).