1979 Australian Sports Car Championship
The 1979 Australian Sports Car Championship was a CAMS sanctioned motor racing title for drivers of Group D Production Sports Cars. It was the eleventh Australian Sports Car Championship and the fourth to be restricted to cars complying with Group D regulations.
The championship was contested over a four round series.
- Round 1 Baskerville, Tasmania, 22 April
- Round 2 Calder, Victoria, 27 May
- Round 3, Winton, Victoria, 19 August
- Round 4 Calder, Victoria, 25 November
Round 1 was conducted over two races and all other rounds over one race.
Cars competed in two engine capacity classes:
- Up to and including 2000cc
- Over 2000cc 
Championship points were awarded on a 9-6-4-3-2-1 basis for the first six places in each class at each round and on a 4-3-2-1 basis for the first four outright places at each round.
For Round 1, the round results, on which championship points were awarded, were determined by allocating race points on a 20-16-13-11-10-9-8-9-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 for the first 14 outright places in each race and aggregating the points for each driver. Where more than one driver attained the same total, the superior round position was awarded to the higher placed driver in the second race.
|Position||Driver||Car ||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total |
|1||Ross Mathieson||Porsche Carrera||6||13||13||6||38|
|2||Peter Fitzgerald||Porsche Carrera||13||6||9||9||37|
|3||Bernie Bisseling||Lotus 47||9||9||1||6||25|
|4||John Gourlay||Bolwell Nagari||9||-||-||13||22|
|5||Rex Colliver||Lotus 47||4||-||4||9||17|
|Tim Briglia||Lotus Elan||-||4||9||4||17|
|7||Murray Bryden||Lotus Elan||6||6||-||-||12|
|8||Chris Swingler||Triumph TR7||3||3||2||3||11|
|9||John Latham||Bolwell Nagari||-||-||6||4||10|
|10||Warwick Henderson||Chevrolet Corvette C3||-||9||-||-||9|
|11||Neal Swingler||Triumph GT6||?||?||?||?||6|
|12||Paul Trevathan||MGB GT V8||-||4||-||-||4|
|Alan Edwards||Bolwell Nagari||-||-||4||-||4|
|15||Dick Smith||Lotus Super Seven||?||?||?||?||3|
|16||Ross Bond||Bolwell Nagari||1||?||?||?||2|
- CAMS Manual of Motor Sport 1979, page 96
- CAMS Manual of Motor Sport 2002, page 14-6
- Australian Motor Racing Yearbook, 1979/80, pages 190-193
- CAMS Manual of Motor Sport 1979, pages 94-95
- Jim Shepherd, A History of Australian Motor Sport, 1980, pages 179-180
- Totals from points table for top 9 drivers in Australian Motor Racing Yearbook 1979/80, page 193, plus points listing in Jim Shepherd, A History of Australian Motor Sport, 1980, page 180