Here are results and statistics from the National Basketball League's inaugural season of 1979.
End of Season Ladder
This is the ladder at the end of season, before the finals. In all, 90 games were played, 18 for each team. The top two teams then played a sudden death grand final.
There was only one final played in this season and it was contested by the Top 2 teams.
- Played at Albert Park Stadium, Melbourne
St. Kilda Saints 94 to Canberra Cannons 93
The Saints won on a reverse layup just before the buzzer by Peter Vitols.
Points Per Game
- Calvin Bruton - 33.2 PPG (18 games for the Brisbane Bullets)
- Ken Richardson - 26.2 PPG (18 games for the West Adelaide Bearcats)
- Dave Ankeney - 26.1 PPG (18 games for the Newcastle Falcons)
- Jim Slacke - 23.8 PPG (18 games for the Illawarra Hawks)
- Cal Stamp - 23.3 PPG (18 games for the Canberra Cannons)
Field Goal %
- Dave Ankeney - 50.0% (18 games for the Newcastle Falcons) (165/330)
- Dan Riley - 50.0% (18 games for the Newcastle Falcons) (146/292)
- Glen Ryan - 50.0% (17 games for the Newcastle Falcons) (63/126)
- Darrell Corcoran - 50.0% (18 games for the West Sydney Westars) (66/132)
- Richard Dunphy - 50.0% (16 games for the West Sydney Westars) (109/218)
Foul Shot %
- Jim Slacke - 80.8% (63/78)
- David Leslie - 80.6% (54/67)
- David Symth - 78.7% (48/61)
- Calvin Bruton - 78.5% (113/144)
- Gary Fox - 77.8% (49/63)