1979 San Francisco Giants season
|1979 San Francisco Giants|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Spec Richardson|
|Manager(s)||Joe Altobelli, Dave Bristol|
(Lindsey Nelson, Gary Park)
(Lindsey Nelson, Hank Greenwald)
|Previous season Next season|
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Awards and honors
- 5 Farm system
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- December 4, 1978: Max Venable was drafted by the Giants from the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 1978 rule 5 draft.
- December 5, 1978: Darrell Evans was signed as a free agent by the Giants.
- February 24, 1979: Bill Bordley was signed as an amateur free agent by the Giants.
|Los Angeles Dodgers||79||83||11.5||.488|
|San Francisco Giants||71||91||19.5||.438|
|San Diego Padres||68||93||22||.422|
Opening Day starters
- Vida Blue
- Jack Clark
- Darrell Evans
- Marc Hill
- Mike Ivie
- Bill Madlock
- Roger Metzger
- Billy North
- Terry Whitfield
- April 1, 1979: Joe Coleman was signed as a free agent by the Giants.
- April 21, 1979: Joe Coleman was released by the Giants.
- June 5, 1979: Scott Garrelts was drafted by the Giants in the 1st round (15th pick) of the 1979 Major League Baseball Draft.
- June 13, 1979: John Tamargo was traded by the Giants to the Montreal Expos for a player to be named later and cash. The Expos completed the deal by sending Joe Pettini to the Giants on March 15, 1980.
- June 17, 1979: Dan Gladden was signed by the Giants as an amateur free agent.
- June 28, 1979: Bill Madlock, Lenny Randle and Dave Roberts were traded by the Giants to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Ed Whitson, Fred Breining, and Al Holland.
- June 28, 1979: Héctor Cruz was traded by the Giants to the Cincinnati Reds for Pedro Borbón.
|1979 San Francisco Giants|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|3B||Evans, DarrellDarrell Evans||160||562||142||.253||17||70|
|RF||Clark, JackJack Clark||143||527||144||.273||26||86|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|Hill, MarcMarc Hill||63||169||35||.207||3||15|
|Andrews, RobRob Andrews||75||154||40||.260||2||13|
|Sadek, MikeMike Sadek||63||126||30||.238||1||11|
|Venable, MaxMax Venable||55||85||14||.165||0||3|
|Tamargo, JohnJohn Tamargo||30||60||12||.200||2||6|
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
|Blue, VidaVida Blue||34||237||14||14||5.01||138|
|Curtis, JohnJohn Curtis||27||120.2||10||9||4.18||85|
Note: G = Games pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
|Borbón, PedroPedro Borbón||30||4||3||3||4.89||26|
|Coleman, JoeJoe Coleman||5||0||0||0||0.00||0|
Awards and honors
- Max Venable page at Baseball Reference
- Darrell Evans page at Baseball Reference
- Bill Bordley page at Baseball Reference
- Joe Coleman page at Baseball Reference
- Scott Garrelts page at Baseball Reference
- John Tamargo page at Baseball Reference
- Dan Gladden page at Baseball Reference
- Bill Madlock page at Baseball Reference
- Pedro Borbon page at Baseball Reference