1981 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Tournament
|1981 NCAA Division I Men's
Ice Hockey Tournament
|Champions||Wisconsin (3rd title, 3rd title game,
6th Frozen Four)
|Runner-Up||Minnesota (8th title game,
9th Frozen Four)
|Semifinalists||Michigan Tech (10th Frozen Four)
Northern Michigan (2nd Frozen Four)
|Winning Coach||Bob Johnson (3rd title)|
|MOP||Marc Behrend (Wisconsin)|
|NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Tournaments
The 1981 NCAA Men's Division I Ice Hockey Tournament was the culmination of the 1980–81 season in men's ice hockey for teams in Division I of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The field for the 1981 tournament was expanded to include eight teams, an increase from the flexible five or six team format that had been in place since 1977. This format would be used until 1988 when the field was expanded to 12 teams.
The quarter-finals were two-game total-goals series played at the campus of the higher seed. The semi-finals and finals were single elimination games.
|Michigan Tech||7||6||13||Northern Michigan||2|
- Marc Behrend, Wisconsin Badgers
- Mike Knoke, Minnesota Golden Gophers
- Tim Watters, Michigan Tech Huskies
- Steve Bozek, Northern Michigan Wildcats
- Aaron Broten, Minnesota Golden Gophers
- John Newberry, Wisconsin Badgers
- Official 2008 NCAA Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Records Book (PDF). Indianapolis: National Collegiate Athletic Association. pp. 54, 58. ISSN 1089-0092. Retrieved 2008-05-23.
- "1981 NCAA Tournament". Inside College Hockey. Archived from the original on 23 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-23.