1981 San Francisco Giants season
|1981 San Francisco Giants
|Major league affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Spec Richardson, Tom Haller|
(Lindsey Nelson, Gary Park, Edgard Martinez)
(Lindsey Nelson, Hank Greenwald, David Glass)
|Previous season Next season|
The 1981 season was the 99th season in Giants history. Giants manager Frank Robinson became the first black manager in the history of the National League. Robinson was also the first black manager in the history of the American League.
- December 8, 1980: Chris Bourjos and Bob Knepper were traded by the Giants to the Houston Astros for Enos Cabell.
- December 9, 1980: DeWayne Buice was drafted from the Giants by the Oakland Athletics in the 1980 minor league draft.
- December 12, 1980: John Montefusco and Craig Landis (minors) were traded by the Giants to the Atlanta Braves for Doyle Alexander.
- December 12, 1980: Joe Strain and Philip Nastu were traded by the Giants to the Chicago Cubs for Jerry Martin, Jesús Figueroa, and a player to be named later. The Cubs completed the deal by sending Mike Turgeon (minors) to the Giants on August 11, 1981.
- February 9, 1981: Joe Morgan was signed as a free agent by the Giants.
- March 23, 1981: Billy Smith was purchased by the Giants from the Philadelphia Phillies.
- March 31, 1981: Gorman Heimueller was released by the Giants.
Regular season 
Season standings 
First Half Standings
|Los Angeles Dodgers||36||21||.632|
|San Francisco Giants||27||32||.458|
|San Diego Padres||23||33||.411|
Second Half Standings
|San Francisco Giants||29||23||.558|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||27||26||.509|
|San Diego Padres||18||36||.333|
Opening Day starters 
- Vida Blue
- Enos Cabell
- Jack Clark
- Darrell Evans
- Larry Herndon
- Johnnie LeMaster
- Milt May
- Joe Morgan
- Billy North
Notable transactions 
- May 17, 1981: Phil Ouellette was signed by the Giants as an amateur free agent.
- August 3, 1981: Mike Sadek was released by the Giants.
|1981 San Francisco Giants|
Player stats 
Starters by position 
Note: Pos = position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
|= Indicates team leader|
Other batters 
Starting pitchers 
Other pitchers 
Relief pitchers 
Awards and honors 
- Vida Blue, reserve
Farm system 
- Great Baseball Feats, Facts and Figures, 2008 Edition, p.198, David Nemec and Scott Flatow, A Signet Book, Penguin Group, New York, NY, ISBN 978-0-451-22363-0
- Chris Bourjos page at Baseball Reference
- DeWayne Buice page at Baseball Reference
- Doyle Alexander page at Baseball Reference
- Joe Strain page at Baseball Reference
- Joe Morgan page at Baseball Reference
- Billy Smith page at Baseball Reference
- Gorman Heimueller page at Baseball Reference
- Phil Ouellette page at Baseball Reference
- Mike Sadek page at Baseball Reference
- 1981 San Francisco Giants team page at Baseball Reference
- 1981 San Francisco Giants team page at Baseball Almanac
|This article relating to an San Francisco Giants season is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|