1982 Detroit Lions season
|1982 Detroit Lions season|
|Head coach||Monte Clark|
|Home field||Pontiac Silverdome|
|Division place||8th NFC|
|Playoff finish||Lost 1st Round|
The 1982 Detroit Lions season was the 53rd season in franchise history. A NFL players strike shortened the regular season to nine games. The Lions qualified for their first postseason appearance since 1970. The NFL changed the playoffs due to the strike. The Lions became one of only three teams to ever qualify for the playoffs despite having a losing record. The Lions and the 1982 Cleveland Browns are the only two teams with a losing record to qualify as wildcards. In 2010, the Seattle Seahawks became the third team with a losing record to qualify for the playoffs and the first team to win a division title with a losing record. The Lions lost to the Washington Redskins at RFK Stadium in the first round of the playoffs.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2011)|
|1||Sept. 12||Chicago Bears||Win||17||10||1–0||Win 1||
|2||Sept. 19||at Los Angeles Rams||Win||19||14||2–0||Win 2||
|Player strike cancels seven games.|
|3||Nov. 21||at Chicago Bears||Loss||17||20||2–1||Lose 1||
|4||Nov. 25||New York Giants||Loss||6||13||2–2||Lose 2||
|5||Dec. 6||New York Jets||Loss||13||28||2–3||Lose 3||
|6||Dec. 12||at Green Bay Packers||Win||30||10||3–3||Win 1||
|7||Dec. 19||Minnesota Vikings||Loss||31||34||3–4||Lose 1||
|8||Dec. 26||at Tampa Bay Buccaneers||Loss||21||23||3–5||Lose 2||
|9||Jan. 2||Green Bay Packers||Win||27||24||4–5||Win 1||End of regular season, qualified for playoffs.||
Due to the strike, the NFL adopted a 16 team tournament for the post-season. The top eight teams from each conference made the playoffs.
|National Football Conference|
|Green Bay Packers||5||3||1||.611||226||169|
|St. Louis Cardinals||5||4||0||.556||135||170|
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers||5||4||0||.556||158||178|
|New Orleans Saints||4||5||0||.444||129||160|
|New York Giants||4||5||0||.444||164||160|
|San Francisco 49ers||3||6||0||.333||209||206|
|Los Angeles Rams||2||7||0||.222||200||250|
Detroit Lions roster
Rookies in italics
The Redskins jumped to a 24–0 lead en route to a 31–7 victory over the Lions.
Awards and records
Regular Season record
- First team with a losing record (4–5, .444) to qualify for the playoffs. Shared with Cleveland Browns
- Worst regular season record (4–5, .444) to qualify for the playoffs. Shared with Cleveland Browns until replaced by the 2010 Seattle Seahawks (7–9, .438).
- NFL 2001 Record and Fact Book. New York: Workman Publishing Co. p. 294. ISBN 0-7611-2480-2.
- Seahawks defeat Rams 16–6 to win NFC West title, 2 January 2011, retrieved 3 January 2011
- 2010 NFL Record and Fact Book (PDF). National Football League. p. 384. Retrieved February 22, 2011.
- Detroit Lions on Pro Football Reference
- Detroit Lions on jt-sw.com
- Detroit Lions on The Football Database